Virtual cruise Moab

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I know we’re going all find our ways to think about Cruise Moab and not be too miserable.
I’m going to wear a Cruise moab shirt every day.
What are you going to do?
Post it here every day. image.jpg

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Nice poster as well:cool:.

Been trying to keep the spirits up through all this. Didn't even realize I would have been leaving for the desert/Cruise Moab today.

Been editing past desert trips for the blog the last few days...

15.jpg

5.jpg

:beer::beer:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I missed 1998 and 1999, I didn't join Rising Sun until October 1999. I originaly joined to learn how to work on my stuff, next thing you know they have me out doing trails at Cruise Moab 2000. I missed Cruise Moab 2008, quit the committee from burnout. I missed Cruise Moab 2016, wife was diagnosed with breast cancer the Friday before the event. As Cruise Moab committee chair, I deputized Andy as the new on-site chair for that event. I missed Cruise Moab 2019, from committee burnout. After a year off, I was really looking forward to Cruise Moab 202, I was going to wheel my 49-year-old FJ40 that has so much rust and trail damage that I don't care what happens as long as she gets me home.

I remember after Cruise Moab 2010, the BFE year, the snow not only at BFE on Thursday, but also for people coming in (I remember you Daniel advising others of the traffic issues on I-70 coming in from Denver) but also the return trip home that Sunday with all the snow and ice on the passes.

After Ray posted that picture of the 2020 lanyard badge, I thought of taking a picture of all the ones I have from so many past year's Cruise Moabs. But I didn't: I always thought those things were lame and never wore mine LOL! I am more proud of all the commitee shirts I have earned over the years, and all the trail leader shirts I have earned over the years. You can't buy those, they are only earned. The thinking behind trail leader shirts is that while we pay trail leaders a $25 stipend as a thank you for stepping up and leading (gunners get $10), the cash is soon spent and there is nothing left to show for it. The premium, custom trail leader shirts are unobtanium. You have to earn it. Same with committee shirts. The committee spends countless hours all year long, starting in August and ending at the close out in May or June, phone calls, emails, meetings and tons of work. Solving problem after problem.

I know Daniel has trail leader shirts from every year since we started doing those, he has always been our "Iron Man" trail leader, usually leading all 3 days. I always tried to keep from having leaders from having to lead more than one or two trails, but Daniel has always volunteered to lead all 3 days.

As far as event artwork that made its way to participant's shirts, I'd say 2005 is my favorite, just for Treeroot Mike Davidson's striking Rising Sun logo's theme blended so well to draw the eye in. Same artist, Treeroot Mike Davidson's 2013 is my second favorite the back of a late model 40 (can't find an image handy on this particular computer), followed by my third favorite, Bruce Minney's Cruise Moab 2000 art, featuring many of the various Land Cruiser models that had been sold in the US by then, as well as mini truck and 4runner.
2005Back.jpg
2000Back.jpg

desmocruiser

Rock Stacker
Thought I would drop in and say hey.

Like most, I am disappointed for the circumstances and that I am not taking the trip West (even though my is bit farther) this week

Thanks for all the hard work that goes in to make the event! Next time!
23871AF0-3808-4371-AEB1-0EBFC46C52CD.jpeg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Thank you @Rzeppa. Kind and generous of you to say. Club members around when I joined provided the spark and I love to see the excitement on people's faces as we run trails.

bh4rnnr

Pre-running Wipe Out Hill, waaaaay back in 2005 (back when I shot with film). Such a fun day.

Red Fox was leading us that day:).
WH1.jpg

Red Fox!!
WH2.jpg

Wes in the Bj70.
WH3.jpg

Red Fox spotting me while Treeroot watches on.

WH4.jpg

:beer::beer:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Was that really 05 Perry?

bh4rnnr

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Up to 2007, winch line splicing and Leopold Blackberry Whiskey. ED4D366B-9181-4F91-AD72-6CD78A15785D.jpeg

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a busy week this week.
Screenshot_20200414-131636_Gmail.jpg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have not done CM for a number of years but was planning to make an appearance for 2020. Here’s a shot from a previous pre-run which admittedly I enjoyed more than the event. Yoder was leading us this day on Behind the Rocks. I recall Randy, Farnham were also on the run.

055796F5-5A7A-49EC-8AAB-9A7FD3E77AEB.jpeg

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That was a great pre-run. Here's one from the same day, a short while before you drove down High Dive.

1586962307843.png

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We did the badges for 5 years. Tim Nakari had the idea based on the badges at the Warped Tour -- it was a cool way to identify everyone and it was a neat souvenir. The badges were customized with each person's name. Each year featured a photo of a different vehicle owned by a RS member. Click on the photo to see it bigger.
Badges.jpeg

The reverse side was sponsored by American Toyota (Cruiser Dan Busey) every year.
American Toyota.jpeg

We also included a second badge with the event schedule on one side:
Schedule.jpeg

And our communications plan on the reverse:
Communication.jpeg

These were pretty cool, but many people didn't wear them and they were a lot of work, so we eventually retired them.

Last edited: