• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Vehicle Fluid Recycling

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I am starting down the path of personal maintenance to my vehicles. I am unclear on a few things and I am hoping to find some answers as to best practices.

Can I combine all oils together for recycling? At this point I have diff (75-90), motor (0-30) and shock oil (5 weight). It would be so much easier if I could just combine them, but I don't want to hinder the recycling process when I turn the oils in. It seems like most auto parts stores will accept oil for recycling.

The other used fluids that I am soon to have and need to recycle are brake fluid (DOT 3 probably) and antifreeze. Where are people taking brake fluid and antifreeze? I am having trouble finding a place that offers antifreeze recycling.

Just to confirm one more question: Brake fluid, anti-freeze and oil need to be kept separate for recycling correct?

If anyone has any resources that are helpful with this topic, I would appreciate it if the could post it here of PM me.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Motor, gear, power steering and transmission oil are usually fine to mix together. I usually take mine to Autozone or similar although my county hazardous waste will take it. Not completely sure what they do with it but I've heard reprocess it or burn it in things like tourist trains.

Anti-freeze and brake fluid should never be mixed in with that oil. As I understand it that will contaminate the tank and they can't recycle it. I take mine to the county hazardous waste disposal where I think they incinerate it.

Correct, you should not mix oil, anti-freeze and brake fluid.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Motor, gear, power steering and transmission oil are usually fine to mix together. I usually take mine to Autozone or similar although my county hazardous waste will take it. Not completely sure what they do with it but I've heard reprocess it or burn it in things like tourist trains.

Anti-freeze and brake fluid should never be mixed in with that oil. As I understand it that will contaminate the tank and they can't recycle it. I take mine to the county hazardous waste disposal where I think they incinerate it.

Correct, you should not mix oil, anti-freeze and brake fluid.

Copy that and thanks for the help. Where is the hazardous waste disposal facility that you drop off at? On the Denver website I see them talking about being able to schedule a pickup, but not a facility that I can take it to.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
If you are in Jefferson county there is a place called Rooney Road Recycling that will take anti-freeze. Not sure about brake fluid...

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Copy that and thanks for the help. Where is the hazardous waste disposal facility that you drop off at? On the Denver website I see them talking about being able to schedule a pickup, but not a facility that I can take it to.
I don't know about Denver. Haven't lived there since 2012. Back in Larimer and now here in Mesa they are at the county landfill. There may be a restriction requiring you to be a resident. My memory with Denver was you scheduled it, they dropped off bags and collected it later.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The city of Thornton will take it free of charge if you're a resident.

Screenshot_20201014-192226_Chrome.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Antifreze - check your municipality:

Brake fluid - check your municipality:

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Antifreze - check your municipality:

Brake fluid - check your municipality:

I was NOT expecting that Colorado.gov would recommend just flushing the antifreeze down the drain! I guess that it dilutes enough that the water treatment plant can deal with it.

Thanks for posting this up. I thought there would be more places to recycle these items, but it looks like I will just use the pickup method when I get enough around. $15 isn't bad once every year or two to support recycling these items.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I don't know about Denver. Haven't lived there since 2012. Back in Larimer and now here in Mesa they are at the county landfill. There may be a restriction requiring you to be a resident. My memory with Denver was you scheduled it, they dropped off bags and collected it later.

I always forget that you are DaveInGrandJunction now! :)

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I take mine to where I bought my oil usually. Lately the drums have been full due to the pump truck guys not coming as often due to covid (Told this at my local advance).

As alternatives, as @DaveInDenver said you can go to the land fill. Also your city recycle center. Both Loveland and Fort Collins have free recycling center drop offs with individual drums for each fluid type, including antifreeze.

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
Since we are on the topic. What about old gas? I have 5 gallons that have been just sitting my garage for several years now. No idea where to take it.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
They take gasoline at our hazardous waste center (again Mesa County) but I don't know if that's common or unusual.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Since we are on the topic. What about old gas? I have 5 gallons that have been just sitting my garage for several years now. No idea where to take it.
It sounds like in Denver the primary option is to schedule a pickup. It is a flat $15 fee no matter the amount. To cut down on the fee, it might make sense to coordinate with neighbors/friends and then just split it.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@Workinonit - curious about your gasoline. Is it varnished or contaminated?

If you're not comfortable with it in your truck or lawn mower bring it to a meeting and while everyone's inside just dump it in a 40. If it causes carb problems no one will think twice since it's just expected. :)

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
@Workinonit - curious about your gasoline. Is it varnished or contaminated?

If you're not comfortable with it in your truck or lawn mower bring it to a meeting and while everyone's inside just dump it in a 40. If it causes carb problems no one will think twice since it's just expected. :)
Its just old.... so the same as a 40...

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
It sounds like in Denver the primary option is to schedule a pickup. It is a flat $15 fee no matter the amount. To cut down on the fee, it might make sense to coordinate with neighbors/friends and then just split it.

Not sure if there is a fee but found this place. Thanks for the suggestions! FYI - they take antifreeze and everything on your original list for this post.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I needed to get rid of the "bookmark" word in the link.

I guess that they have mechanisms in place to remove the antifreeze at some point in the process. Interesting fact of the day for me!