Vail camping

I've been looking for camping near and around Vail. Pretty slim pickings. Anyone have advice? Or Ginger thought maybe we could rent a place with a kitchenette or something. What sucks is we still have to drag the camper along no matter what as it has the setup to haul the art stuff.

Eric V.

sno bored

Trail Ready
When are you planning on camping? There is still lots of snow around in the high country. If Farnham doesn't reply to this thread you may want to PM him. He lives in Vail and would know of camping spots nearby.

wesintl

RS Moderator
gore creek
hornsilver
camp hale

This is the second weekend in August. Just trying to get my summer plans mapped out now so I can enjoy life.

As close to Vail as possible, Ginger's art show is right in Vail.

Holy Cross is definitely going to happen. I'm thinking the 7th or 8th. YIKES! The 7th is our anniversary.

I'm also hoping Gabe and I can sneak away from the show early Sat. AM to go to the Rallye.

I'll look at those Wes! Thanks!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Eric, Camp Hale is at least 20 minutes from Vail. I don't know about the other two sites. Your best bet will be to get recommendations from Farnham -- he lives in Vail.

Ginger's art show is the same weekend as the Rising Sun Rally, which is on Saturday, August 11.

Yep, the Rally is the whole reason I'm excited about this trip. Well and Holy Cross too :) This is a long trip. We will leave probably July 31 to Sheridan, stop in Jackson Hole on the way, Art Show in Sheridan, Wyoming August 3-5. Hang out for a day or so in Sheridan. Drive to Colorado the 6th or 7th. Wheel a day or two, set up Thrusday the 9th, the show is the 10th-12th, head home the 13th. Looking at the map a stop in Moab might be in order. It will depend on temps. And then home by the 15th. I think work starts back up the 16th. So we are looking at a solid 2 weeks of being on the road. My folks are going to come down with us from Sheridan to the Vail show. Then my mom can help Ginger and my dad, Gabe, and I can go to the Rally.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Eric -
There are many nice and easily accessible (i.e. ok for a trailer) sites off of Shrine Pass - the east end of which is off I-70 Vail Pass and the West end comes out at Redcliffe (or comes out at Camp Hale if you go through McCallister Gulch which is not real trailer friendly but depends on the trailer). I just e-mailed you direct to see if we can talk by phone this weekend. Easier to help you find the perfect site.
Daniel

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Eric, I would like to try and make the show, just have to see what's planned for the summer:beer: .

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Plenty of camping near Vail. Gore creek campground in East Vail. Next to I-70 total tourist spot US forest w/ pit toilets. 8 min from Town. Up Red Sand stone Road. US forest Land Many Beautiful spots and My recomendation. Up the road till you find a good spot.5-25 min. Minturn shooting range 10min. good if you don't mind gunfire. Mill creek road. Drive up Vail mtn past chair 10 also known as Benchmark rd. Good wheeling all the way to top, but you could get pop-up to nice spot no problem. Need more? PM me as you get closer. Camp Hale more like 35 min. Holly Cross City 45 min to camp.

I will PM you as it gets closer. Right now I'm working on June logistics. Holy cow, lots to figure out. My friend from TX is flying in to do the Rubithon with Gabe (4) and I. Then we have to get him back to the airport before 5:30 AM on Sunday and then my wife is flying in and we are going to drive the Vacaville together and see her friend and then to the coast and home. With my luck gas will be $4/gallon in my 10 mpg Cruiser. I have 3 big out of state trips this year. probably 7k miles total. So I imagine gas will be outrageous.