Used Windshield install?

calphi27

Trail Ready
Ok so I need to replace my saab windshield and found a used one. Does anyone know an installer that would do this? Is it difficult to get the old gasket off of the used windshield? What would you pay for a used, crack-less piece of glass and for the install?

i saw my glass guy do it with my "used" and cracked 60 glass.
we re-used the gasket also.

my glass came out when we righted my 60 after the roll, so that part was taken care of. :D

a windshield goes in like a sliding rear window.
lube up the gasket with WD-40 and use a string to around the whole gasket.
have someone push the glass from the outside as you pull both ends of the string slowly, the gasket will pull inside.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Unless your windshield is different than that. Minitruck windshields and most cars are glued in.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Come to the dark side.

We have cookies...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
:homer:

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
$45-80 to install - most shops don't like it, as there's no margin in it - it's all labor. I wouldn't pay much for used glass, but I understand older Saabs require $500 genuine Saab glass, so anything under $150 for a nice old windshild would seem ok to me.

calphi27

Trail Ready
I just put in a new safelite, and it got chipped 2x the following week. Then the week after, a chip turned into a crack, that has since snaked across my windshield. It cost me $200 for that one, and it seemed very cheap. I don't want to pay more than $40 for the used glass. Thanks for the input guys.