• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Use same FRN number for HAM license and GMRS?

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Going t o spend the $70 to get a license for my GMRS radio. Did not realize the FRN was printed on my HAM license, so registered to get a new one. Is it important that I use the same FRN for both licenses?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The FCC Registration Number (FRN) identifies a single entity, which could be a commercial business, public agency or in the case of personal service like GMRS and amateur radio an individual person. So you'd associate the new GMRS license (in the Universal Licensing System, ULS, for example) with the same FRN as you use (and was probably originally assigned automatically) for your ham license.

Last edited:

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Dave! At one point I had separate Customer IDs for Colorado licensing, as I would keep a fishing license in my fly vest and a small game in my duck hunting coat. It was pointed out to me that this was a problem, because it could allow me to double up on applications for big game, even thought I am not a big game hunter. Will go ahead and get the GMRS license attached to the existing FRN number.

best regards,

todd

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I had to figure what a FRN number was recently.
I do not know whether it is important to use the same FRN numberfor both HAM and GMRS.

However, and for anyone who reads this thread later, If you already have HAM, you have a FRN number to use for your GMRS application.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I don't know if there's any regulation or potential penalty (perhaps the state would see two CPW accounts as trying to defraud for two tags, I dunno) that requires a single FRN. Might be, might not. It's just not necessary and easier to keep all your contact information and license renewals attached to one name/address/email. For the purposes of the FCC the call signs are supposed to point back to someone responsible for verifying proper licensing and operation (mainly in the case of complaint) so there is some importance to keeping the information associated with the FRN correct.

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Paid my money, but don’t know what comes next? Do I get an email with approval and/or a call sign for GMRS?

thanks,

todd

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Paid my money, but don’t know what comes next? Do I get an email with approval and/or a call sign for GMRS?

thanks,

todd
You will get an Email with all information, took me 48 hrs to recieve it.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I just got my GMRS license and they're pretty quick about approving your application and issuing your new GMRS call sign. I think total time to issue was a week. My new call sign is WRJA747. Not sure if you can get vanity call signs like with ham? Maybe someone else knows?

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
You will get an Email with all information, took me 48 hrs to recieve it.

got the GMRS license. Do you need to identify yourself as frequently as using HAM?

thanks,

todd

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
§ 95.1751 GMRS station identification.

Each GMRS station must be identified by transmission of its FCC-assigned call sign at the end of transmissions and at periodic intervals during transmissions except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section. A unit number may be included after the call sign in the identification.

(a) The GMRS station call sign must be transmitted:
(1) Following a single transmission or a series of transmissions; and,​
(2) After 15 minutes and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.​
(b) The call sign must be transmitted using voice in the English language or international Morse code telegraphy using an audible tone.

(c) Any GMRS repeater station is not required to transmit station identification if:
(1) It retransmits only communications from GMRS stations operating under authority of the individual license under which it operates; and,​
(2) The GMRS stations whose communications are retransmitted are properly identified in accordance with this section.​

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
§ 97.119 Station identification.

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:
(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;​
(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;​
(3) By a RTTY emission using a specified digital code when all or part of the communications are transmitted by a RTTY or data emission;​
(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of § 73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission​
(c) One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after, the call sign. No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.

(d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance, a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

(e) When the operator license class held by the control operator exceeds that of the station licensee, an indicator consisting of the call sign assigned to the control operator's station must be included after the call sign.

(f) When the control operator is a person who is exercising the rights and privileges authorized by § 97.9(b) of this part, an indicator must be included after the call sign as follows:
(1) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice Class to Technical Class: KT;​
(2) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice or Technician to General Class: AG;​
(3) For a control operator who has requested a license modification from Novice, Technician, General, or Advanced Class to Amateur Extra Class: AE.​
(g) When the station is transmitting under the authority of § 97.107 of this part, an indicator consisting of the appropriate letter-numeral designating the station location must be included before the call sign that was issued to the station by the country granting the license. For an amateur service license granted by the Government of Canada, however, the indicator must be included after the call sign. At least once during each intercommunication, the identification announcement must include the geographical location as nearly as possible by city and state, commonwealth or possession.