Uniden bearcat

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Does anyone have experience with this radio? It is a CMX 760. Out of the box inspection shows that it is damaged. Specifically, the mic cord that is styled after a phone jack does not click into the main box. The tab is on the male end but nothing in the female end for a positive attachment. Extension has a solid click when inserted. Called uniden and they said they were unsure but it didn't seem correct and to send it in. No postage paid. I plan to call them back and let them know that they need to pay postage. Just curious if anyone had a similar issue with the connection or any experience with this style of connection. Seems like it would be solid if it clicked in.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
The rubber grommet on the cord (male end) will hold the cable in unless it is pulled on then it will disengage. There is an extension that I planed to use so the body was tucked under the dash and have the handset plug into a more convenient location. The problem I foresee is if it comes loose when I need it and its a pia to easily access to put back. Bottom line, new out of the box and seems damaged or missing pieces.
20200418_100418.jpg
20200418_100511.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Nothing looks broken to me. Have you tried an RJ45/8P8C cable in there? That might work fine. The front panel mic connector on my truck radio has a similar set up with a boot over the connector that prevented the tab from fully engaging. That meant it would just pull back out. A regular Ethernet cable would snap in fine, though.

IMG_0864_mid.jpg

IMG_0866_mid.jpg

I had to trim the boot a little. In your case it might be something else so knowing if an RJ45 will work or not could help point to the issue and how to fix it.

IMG_0865_mid.jpg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
After further inspection with a bright light and a magnificent lens... there is a plastic piece that is broken in the unit that the male end clips into. It appears that it was super thin. My guess is that I recieved a returned unit that someone messed up. After talking with a cb shop, they stated that you have be careful when removing the handset plug as this is easily broken on this model. I may just go with it and see how it goes or return it. I'm sitting on the fence. I really don't like installing damaged items. Is it that bad? Probably not. Do I want to have it fail when I want to use it. Not at all. I can also be a tight a$$ when it comes to paying for something to be right when I recieved what was supposed to be a new, untouched item. Not sure which way I will fall on this one.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd return it. You paid for a new unit and got either a defective one or a returned one. It's dishonest on principle I'd be concerned if it was already used what other damage could have occurred?

robert

Brand New
I have the same thing...its broken, i would return it but my unit is 5 years old and ive lost the receipt, i remeber it broke very soon after purchase..its very poor design/quality. Anyway the problem is my unit is hidden behind my dash and it has pulled out a few times. Im looking at fixing it, repairing it doesnt look very good so i have sourced what looks like a better quality part (its bigger) but will/should fit. Google RJ45 board mount. If your good with tiny wires maybe removing the broken connector and soldering in an extension cable wired end.

Attachments

• rj45.jpg
    rj45.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 175
Last edited: