Turbo 2f...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Wes got me thinking... (scary enough in itself)

The 2f seems like a good canidate for a turbo, low compression and all, does anyone know of this being done. Mace on mud is in the process, and it has been fun to watch.

Seems like a great way to pep up a 2f. Anyone got any links on turbo's and custom installs? Did Toyota ever turbo a 2f from the factory?

This could be a really fun project to explore...:thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Wes got me thinking... (scary enough in itself)

The 2f seems like a good canidate for a turbo, low compression and all, does anyone know of this being done. Mace on mud is in the process, and it has been fun to watch.

Seems like a great way to pep up a 2f. Anyone got any links on turbo's and custom installs? Did Toyota ever turbo a 2f from the factory?

This could be a really fun project to explore...:thumb:

A fairly easy to do project but you will need to do some advanced fabbing! There was an older guy that was in the club that had an overboosted 2F in a 45 SWB many years back....Chris (Masterbaiter) might remember who and what the dealio was....

wesintl

RS Moderator
3fe and turbo that. I wouldn't mess with turboing a carb'd motor.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
UB, what custom parts would be needed... I am guessing everything. But the turbine, intercooler, and wastegate can all be scrounged off other rigs I am sure.

Where do you shoot the boost in at? Pre or post the carb... I am assuming that is where most of the custom fab comes in?

I guess I would have to return to a stock exhuast manifold?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
UB, what custom parts would be needed... I am guessing everything. But the turbine, intercooler, and wastegate can all be scrounged off other rigs I am sure.

Where do you shoot the boost in at? Pre or post the carb... I am assuming that is where most of the custom fab comes in?

I guess I would have to return to a stock exhuast manifold?

I have to agree with Wes...sorta! A simple setup would be 2F with turbo, wastegate, 4.3 throttle body, single o2 sensor on header with a GM OBD1 computer and burned chip. Should run like a scalded cat! Cash outlay would be moderate depending on how much outside help you used.

You could use a carb but your gonna be playing with the fuel metering a lot till ya get it right without running lean.

wesintl

RS Moderator
just run a blow through system then. It's just piping and a compressor

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I think on MUD there's a 3FE head onto 2F block project someone did...then you have the multiport injection with the air metering control to properly and accurately meter air/fuel ratio. I think that's usually the reason 2Fs are not done (or other carb'd engines for that matter). S/C is different because (I think) the air flow is more predictable and I believe S/C was more common on 60s vintage muscle cars etc. Turboing a diesel is different than a gasser, that's how/why Wes was able to get by pretty easy with it.

2F EFI

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Man, I was just hoping to duct tape a fan on top of the carb...

EFI humm, sounds like lots'a work. Maybe I'll wait and put a blower on an 80 in a few years.

Drew

wesintl

RS Moderator
we can spring for a tornado if you need...

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
a draw through system may work pretty easily. thats what MACE on mud runs. (bigger carb bolted on before the compressor inlet)

not the ideal setup, but certainly the cheapest/easiest. Running an intercooler is not really safe in that type of setup, but with low boost maybe you don't need one. look up draw through systems online.. lots of them exist for the vw crowd.

A blow through setup with a carb requires work to be done on the carb to make it work with pressurized float bowls ect.

GM TBI injection bosted the standard way would be the cleanest but more expensive. lots of info online about this too.

would be a fun project. i'd be willing to help a bit if you wanted to go for it.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
a draw through system may work pretty easily. thats what MACE on mud runs. (bigger carb bolted on before the compressor inlet)

not the ideal setup, but certainly the cheapest/easiest. Running an intercooler is not really safe in that type of setup, but with low boost maybe you don't need one. look up draw through systems online.. lots of them exist for the vw crowd.

A blow through setup with a carb requires work to be done on the carb to make it work with pressurized float bowls ect.

GM TBI injection bosted the standard way would be the cleanest but more expensive. lots of info online about this too.

would be a fun project. i'd be willing to help a bit if you wanted to go for it.

Thanks! more dreams than $ right now... :risingsun

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Man, I was just hoping to duct tape a fan on top of the carb...

EFI humm, sounds like lots'a work. Maybe I'll wait and put a blower on an 80 in a few years.

Drew

Have you seen the old you tube vid on the weed wacker test? They strap a ricer to the rollers, baseline it, then duck tape the hose from a leaf blower to the throttle body! Freaking results are amazing! :lmao::lmao:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
My buddy and I thought about doing that to our 22R-Es during college...but only for a second :hill: