Tuffy Model #12 Center Console

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Removed from my truck.

Tuffy 8" Series-II center console, black. This is the single big box version without a radio compartment. Pair of keys for the lock, drink holder for the front (or back), the rear floor bracket in case you need it, key/coin tray with fitted orange foam anti-rattle pad and the original hardware kit.

This fit great with aftermarket buckets in my truck but might not with factory buckets in a mini. It would fit between the seats in any Cruiser (I understand this is the one commonly used in a FJ40), Tundra, Sequoia AFAIK and maybe the T-100. It would also probably fit any other mid- or full-size truck. It's also typically used in a CJ/TJ/YJ if you happen to know someone with one of those. I suppose it would fit in a Series I Rover, HMWWV, Bronco, maybe a lot of things with more elbow room than a mini truck.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-84-012-series-ii-security-console-8-wide.aspx

Asking $151.72

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Dave, I'd like to give it the old hairy eyeball to see if it would work on the 62. Tomorrow? Are the bucket and bubble wrap included?
Steve

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dave, I'd like to give it the old hairy eyeball to see if it would work on the 62. Tomorrow? Are the bucket and bubble wrap included?
Steve
Yessir, not only is it included, it is mandatory to take it. :) Bubble wrap is from the stuff originally, so that is authentic Tuffy product all the way from Cortez, CO. I should have some time tomorrow, probably late afternoon or early evening. I have to go back into work for a while tomorrow so no skiing this weekend.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I just checked out the old Raffle Truck thread to see what model Tuffy dontated and we installed with no luck. Have those threads been deleted or can we still access them, oh, Mighty Websires?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I just checked out the old Raffle Truck thread to see what model Tuffy dontated and we installed with no luck. Have those threads been deleted or can we still access them, oh, Mighty Websires?

Steve,

Here is what I could find...hth :thumb:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=28650&postcount=62 - you mention the #12 Tuffy in tan...We obvioulsy ended up with black but maybe it was the #12 unit?

That was found in this thread --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2934&highlight

And here here is a shot of the Tuffy installed --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4110&highlight

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
i have one of these units in my '40 and like it a lot. :thumb:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Steve,

Here is what I could find...hth :thumb:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=28650&postcount=62 - you mention the #12 Tuffy in tan...We obvioulsy ended up with black but maybe it was the #12 unit?

That was found in this thread --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2934&highlight

And here here is a shot of the Tuffy installed --> http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4110&highlight

Thanks, Dave, from the search retard!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I am interested as well. (second again? :rolleyes:) What scientific formula did you come up with $151.72? :lol:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Uncle Ben said:
I am interested as well. (second again? ) What scientific formula did you come up with $151.72?
  • UB, second in line - check
  • Formula, well, actually...

There was some market research (I checked Craigslist and Tuffy's website for prices) and I came up with this, more or less...

tuffyformula.jpg

• Replacement cost (new Tuffy) = $227
    • Years in service (how long I've had it) = 5.5
    • Years of service life expected (it is a well built steel box) = 25
    • Book Value of my wrenching = $15
    • Book Value of a mug refill of Columbian Supreme from 7-11 @ Broadway and Evans= $1.07
    • Book Value of a six pack of Odell Brewing's Isolation Ale from Morgan's @ Downing and Evans = $7.85

This gave me $151.7223 and I just truncated.

Seriously.

And yes I just wild ass guessed the value of my time. But if you contracted me through work I would have had to charge a time + G&A of about $150/hour. Since the bolts go through the floor and are not captive and I did not have Kirsten's help, I had to rig up a way to hold the bolt fast inside the truck while I turned the nut from the underside on the creeper. But not being an agreed cost+expenses job I assumed that tooling cost of a block of wood and duct tape spanner support bracket and engineering adhesive (not to mention the swear words and busted knuckle) into the BV of the beer. Trust me, that took me some time, too. So $15 for labor is probably illegally cheap.

The obvious negotiated final price would be inclusive of the fact that while I have no doubts a Tuffy placed inside the cab of a truck would last 25 years (it is just a heavy steel box that's powder coated, why wouldn't it), replacement and years in service are not fully accounted. This does not include upkeep and occasional refurbishment. A Tuffy requires the foam and vinyl in the arm rest to be periodically replaced and the lock needs to be cleaned and lubed once in a while. Also the finish does wear at points, so a paint touch up is not unusual. So double declining depreciation is not really a sophisticated estimator.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
BTW, what's funny is that if you estimate using the more standard sum of years digits accounting, at 5 years using a $227 initial cost the Tuffy should have depreciated to $150.22. So a business could still claim this being worth $150 for their equipment cost.

Not to mention that the foam thing assumes you don't want a fitted lower arm cradle. If the divot in the foam happens to fit you, then I might have charged more than $227 because it is a customized arm rest.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Since I wasn't there to help install the Tuffy into the Raffle Truck, it would be good to hear from those that were and how the install went. I think I remember a few whines, err, comments, from Commander Romer about skinned knuckles and perhaps worse after getting the Tuffy to fit the 62's rear heater. Anyone remember how it went?

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
LOL! Dave, you have too much time on your hands...:rolleyes:

• UB, second in line - check
  • Formula, well, actually...

There was some market research (I checked Craigslist and Tuffy's website for prices) and I came up with this, more or less...

tuffyformula.jpg

• Replacement cost (new Tuffy) = $227
    • Years in service (how long I've had it) = 5.5
    • Years of service life expected (it is a well built steel box) = 25
    • Book Value of my wrenching = $15
    • Book Value of a mug refill of Columbian Supreme from 7-11 @ Broadway and Evans= $1.07
    • Book Value of a six pack of Odell Brewing's Isolation Ale from Morgan's @ Downing and Evans = $7.85

This gave me $151.7223 and I just truncated.

Seriously.

And yes I just wild ass guessed the value of my time. But if you contracted me through work I would have had to charge a time + G&A of about $150/hour. Since the bolts go through the floor and are not captive and I did not have Kirsten's help, I had to rig up a way to hold the bolt fast inside the truck while I turned the nut from the underside on the creeper. But not being an agreed cost+expenses job I assumed that tooling cost of a block of wood and duct tape spanner support bracket and engineering adhesive (not to mention the swear words and busted knuckle) into the BV of the beer. Trust me, that took me some time, too. So $15 for labor is probably illegally cheap.

The obvious negotiated final price would be inclusive of the fact that while I have no doubts a Tuffy placed inside the cab of a truck would last 25 years (it is just a heavy steel box that's powder coated, why wouldn't it), replacement and years in service are not fully accounted. This does not include upkeep and occasional refurbishment. A Tuffy requires the foam and vinyl in the arm rest to be periodically replaced and the lock needs to be cleaned and lubed once in a while. Also the finish does wear at points, so a paint touch up is not unusual. So double declining depreciation is not really a sophisticated estimator.