• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Triple Bypass 2005

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The triple bypass was great as usual again this year. There were only 4 rigs, Bruce Miller, Ross Miller, Kyle Bennett and Myself. We started out leaving Crested Butte at 8:00AM sharp saturday morning, and headed south toward the trailhead for Pearl Pass. We kept a brisk pace untill it was necessary to air down a mile or so before the official trailhead. While we aired down, a fullsize chevy pickup passed us. When we got underway, it was evident that the chevy was going to give us something to curse as well as laugh at. After several stops, where the chevy had to pick a line suitable for its length, he headed off in one direction, and we kept on toward the summit.

About 2 miles or so before the summit, we encountered a mud hole. Instead of going around and making more mess and destroying the tundra, we decided to gingerly go through it. Everyone but me got through without help. I guess having a front locker might have been the ticket.

We approached the summit at about 10:45 am, where we took some quick shots and continued on. This was where we ran into our first snowfield. While passable without need for shovel, it made for a side-winding ride as we slid back and forth. Through the snow, we kept a good pace heading down to the north side trailhead where I came across several fields of Columbine flowers, and had to take some pictures. From here to the ghost town of Ashcroft we made good time, arriving at Ashcroft at about 11:30.

After a quick potty break, we headed out for Taylor pass. This was when it started to drizzle. After passing a few H*@Ps, we switched-back several times on a few ledges until reaching the top about 12:30pm, where we ran into the friendly ranger. After a few words with the ranger, it was down the west road to Taylor Lake for lunch, fishing and to stretch the legs. Fortunately the rain stopped enough for us to enjoy the lake. We stayed at Taylor Lake for about an hour and a half before continuing on down toward Dorchester campground. This is a nice but bumpy ride. It goes along the stream for a bit, and has a few obstacles worth trying.

When we reached dorchester, it was about 3:00pm. I switched places with my wife so she could shake the living begeeses out of me and our daughter instead of the other way round on the way up Italian Creek. I had never been on this road before, and the fac that there were a few inholdings with cabins on them was interesting. I was not aware that they were there. The drizzling stopped, but the clouds stayed.

The ride up until the shelf road was moderate, but when my wife saw the shelf road she said "hell no" and we switched places. We all made it to the top, but I must admidt, you never know when that one rock will give way to the road falling down the hill. Pretty spooky. After the shelf road, the trail went back to moderate until we reached the forest access road which was basically paved dirt. From there it was an easy ride into Crested Butte. We arrived in Crested Butte at about 6:00Pm just in time to head to the pub to enjoy a couple frothy ones and talk about the day.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,924
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,769
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 5,225
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,648
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10,086
Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
More pictures...

Limit per post is 5, so here are 5 more...

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 5,909
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 4,278
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,966
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3,314
  • taylor2.jpg
    taylor2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,408
Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
5 more...

5 More pictures of the triple bypass...

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 3,991
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 3,552
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4,809
  • rosswater.jpg
    rosswater.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 7,922
  • taylor.jpg
    taylor.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 5,082

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Oh man...I am so bummed the timing of this run didn't work for me! I really wanted to go this year! :( Guess there's always next year........ :rolleyes: Great trip report and pics!

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
For Tim...

Just motivation to get you out with the little Nakman as soon as possible. :) :D

My daughter thought she was riding in a BJ60, hence the Canada hat (actually borrowed from Bruce).

We drove by several fields of Columbines on Pearl Pass, and I had to take some pictures.

Attachments

• emilee1.jpg
    emilee1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 3,896
  • emilee2.jpg
    emilee2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 5,062
  • fields.jpg
    fields.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4,087
  • columbine.jpg
    columbine.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,739
  • emilee3.jpg
    emilee3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,409

wesintl

RS Moderator
Awesome Pics Nathanial! I dunno what I was thinking not going. Being a ski bum from cb it's my favorite area. I used to bike up pearl all the time and Taylor I used as a shortcut from the CS to aspen in the summer when I was living in snowmass. Never been over Italian though.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the great write up and pictures. I was wondering how this trip went, and it's looks like it was awsome as usual.

Any pictures on the snow coming down Pearl Pass?

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Snow On Pearl...

Here is what little we had to deal with, not much but fun to drive through...

Attachments

• pearl1.jpg
    pearl1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3,381
  • pearl3.jpg
    pearl3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 7,372
  • pearl4.jpg
    pearl4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 9,242
  • pearl5.jpg
    pearl5.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 4,269
  • pearl2.jpg
    pearl2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,347

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Sounds like you guys had a good time. Whish I could have made it.... Next year.