Transporting a pistol...

Overlander

Trail Ready
Question - I'll be picking up a pistol (my first) from JAX sporting goods and transporting it to my residence in NW Denver. Other than keeping it unloaded and in clear sight, what else do I need to know about transporting it in my vehicle?

Not sure what CO regulations are about transportation or even posession of a pistol in a vehicle. What if I would like to bring it with us 'just in case' on a camping trip?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
If you leave it in plain sight you will donate it to a thief faster than you can take your next breath! Make sure it is unloaded and the ammo is stored away from it and you'll be fine. Green Mill gun range is open right now for hunter sight in so for $10 you can get intimate with your new tool! Green Mill is fairly close to Jax, it's in Erie.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
carrying in your car.

In CO, you can legally carry concealed in your own vehicle if you don't have your CCW license. I'll echo what UB said, just keep in unloaded, separate from ammo - you can put it under your seat if you want - or better yet...locked in your Tuffy (if you have one).

Green Mill, eh? haven't heard of that one..is it a public range?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
In CO, you can legally carry concealed in your own vehicle if you don't have your CCW license. I'll echo what UB said, just keep in unloaded, separate from ammo - you can put it under your seat if you want - or better yet...locked in your Tuffy (if you have one).

Google is your friend!

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
what?

What's this "google"? you speak of? Sounds like you're making up funny sounding words.

;):thumb:

are you a member there?

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+

If a vehicle is considered an extension of your home and it's legal to have a loaded handgun in it why would you want to lock it away and hide the ammo?:confused:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
What's this "google"? you speak of? Sounds like you're making up funny sounding words.

;):thumb:

are you a member there?

I'm not....I wish I would have become one years ago as the waiting list wasn't that long back then but my neighbor was a member so I went as his guest often. Most ranges open up this time of year for hunter sight in. It's their money maker for the year. I'm headed out there right now to get some more range love with my latest clover-leafing toy. If you can get out there anytime during the day prior to the after work folks it's not crowded. The guys know me out there and always move away from my bench.....guess they either dont like my deoderant or maybe it's the shock wave! :D

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
If a vehicle is considered an extension of your home and it's legal to have a loaded handgun in it why would you want to lock it away and hide the ammo?:confused:

Because if you carry a hunting license as I do you will lose your hunting privileges. Be smart not a statistic!

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
How's that? Are you talking about a hunting revolver or long gun? I'm talking self defense.

Doesnt matter

From RMGO.ORG:

33-6-125. Possession of a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.

It is unlawful to possess any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I think UB's erring on the side of caution. I never have one in the chamber, but they are always loaded and where they should be.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
x2

I too was giving advice erring on the side of caution. legally, you can carry a loaded pistol in your car. and for those situations you might need that peace of mind, do it.

Caution is well and good, as long as one knows that caution and not law is the reason for a given action.

My view is that gun owners need to know the (numerous) laws and then decide. Not be told what is "safe".

Is gun, is not safe.

More from RMGO, emphasis is mine:

See C.R.S. 18-12-204

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.

The range I frequent wants weapons to come in unloaded and cased, so if I'm going to the range everything is cased, open breached, and magazines in a separate case. If I'm traveling, on my way out of state, handgun is within reaching distance ready to go, rifles open breached and cased.

Oh, and no city or county can override these rules:

RMGO.org said:
Can I carry in my vehicle in Denver? YES

18-12-105.6. Limitation on local ordinances regarding firearms in private vehicles.

(2) (b) …no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction.

All information sourced from RMGo_Org: http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/carrying-in-a-vehicle