Transmission options/opinions

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
The night before the Snow and Pizza Run, my transfercase started acting up. Appears that the seal between the TC and trans failed at some point and it pumped all the fluid into the trans. I guess I've been running around with no oil in the TC for a awhile and might have messed it up. I changed out the 90 wt last Sunday and it is quieter but there is still some noise when I engage 4hi. I'm assuming I'll need to rebuild the TC. I also have a rear main seal leak which I was planning on correcting before Cruise Moab. So since the Transmission and TC will need to come out to address these issues, I am wondering if I should upgrade the Transmission while everything is apart?

My current set up is a 77 2F mated to the stock 3 speed (floor shifter) and 3 speed TC. I am thinking a four speed would be nice, but I'm not sure what parts would be required to do this, how difficult it would be, and how much it will co$t.

If you all were in this situation, what would you do with it??

IanB

The night before the Snow and Pizza Run, my transfercase started acting up. Appears that the seal between the TC and trans failed at some point and it pumped all the fluid into the trans. I guess I've been running around with no oil in the TC for a awhile and might have messed it up. I changed out the 90 wt last Sunday and it is quieter but there is still some noise when I engage 4hi. I'm assuming I'll need to rebuild the TC. I also have a rear main seal leak which I was planning on correcting before Cruise Moab. So since the Transmission and TC will need to come out to address these issues, I am wondering if I should upgrade the Transmission while everything is apart?

My current set up is a 77 2F mated to the stock 3 speed (floor shifter) and 3 speed TC. I am thinking a four speed would be nice, but I'm not sure what parts would be required to do this, how difficult it would be, and how much it will co$t.

4 speed and split case, you can pick them up pretty cheap if you look around. 5 speed would be nice but its $.

FJBen

You could go H41/t-case...give ya some nice low range....

wesintl

RS Moderator

I would put oil in it and run it like your doing. I would drive it and change the fluid. Is there alot of metallic flake. Othewise i'd run it.

It's hard not to pull the 3 speed tranny and not put in a 4 speed for more smoother shifting if your going into a rear main. A later 4 speed with a split case your going to have to get a parking brake, redo driveshafts, flanges etc.

The way your truck is built i'd put in a 4 speed tranny(76-78) and mate it to your 3 speed case and rebuild it. Similar to what jeff did a while back
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1629&page=5

my:twocents: :twocents:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
If I find a 76-78 4 speed, will it bolt right up to the 3 speed transfer case? Also, since a 4 speed bellhousing will be required, what changes to the clutch are needed? Any cutting of the trans hump needed for the 4 speed?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
If I find a 76-78 4 speed, will it bolt right up to the 3 speed transfer case? Also, since a 4 speed bellhousing will be required, what changes to the clutch are needed? Any cutting of the trans hump needed for the 4 speed?

Martin,

Found this over on MUD:

3spd to 4spd conversion

Pretty short and no pics but might be a start. I imagine there are others out there buy my searching ability leaves a lot to be desired :(

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I've got a 4-speed transfer case shell you could put your 3-speed gears in. $100. I've rebuilt my Orion so many times to get the pre-load right I could probably help you do it.