• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Transfer case re gear

Oneops

That’s awesome! Did you already have the low range?

Pz10420

Trail Ready
No. I was happy with the stock gearing on the low range side. I thought about doing the part time kit as well but decided against it for budget reasons.

Oneops

Yeah that’s where I’m at as well. I going to do high and low and do the part time kit later if at all. If I get into the frt diff I’d like to do rcvs then it snow balls really quickly, locker, gears and rebuilding the whole dam thing. Lol. Living the while your in there deal everywhere on this rig.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah that’s where I’m at as well. I going to do high and low and do the part time kit later if at all. If I get into the frt diff I’d like to do rcvs then it snow balls really quickly, locker, gears and rebuilding the whole dam thing. Lol. Living the while your in there deal everywhere on this rig.

After pricing it all out, I ended up going with 4.88s rather than the tcase gears. I went ahead and did the front axle, bearings, rear bearings, and a front locker. it just made more sense to do it all at once instead of opening the transfer case and still needed to do the axles and bearings. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way.

Oneops

After pricing it all out, I ended up going with 4.88s rather than the tcase gears. I went ahead and did the front axle, bearings, rear bearings, and a front locker. it just made more sense to do it all at once instead of opening the transfer case and still needed to do the axles and bearings. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way
Cruiseroutfitter get back to ya on doing a combo? Was just gears a bearing and a gasket maybe?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Planning to do this soon. I keep going back and forth on the part time though.
Could one run the part time spool and just run locked in high and do the axles and hubs later?
Is going back in to do the part time a pita?
I read through some mud threads a few months ago on doing the ud gears and thought there was a bearing you have to press on and off and I believe you could have it come with a new one pressed on anybody here diy this?
If you're going in, do it all at once. Buy once, cry once.
I'm a fan of the 2wd. Pretty sure the locking hubs and spool are sold as a kit

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Planning to do this soon. I keep going back and forth on the part time though.
Could one run the part time spool and just run locked in high and do the axles and hubs later?
Is going back in to do the part time a pita?
I read through some mud threads a few months ago on doing the ud gears and thought there was a bearing you have to press on and off and I believe you could have it come with a new one pressed on anybody here diy this?

Yes, you can do exactly as you stated. When I did my PT I did not have time to do the front axle work at the same time. Simply running with the center diff locked will allow you to drive as normal. I dropped the front drive line (and would suggest the same) until I finished the work.

If you are going to be in the tcase for the low range gears, I would do both at the same time. PITA or not, you are effectively going to be doing the same work twice.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Cruiseroutfitter get back to ya on doing a combo? Was just gears a bearing and a gasket maybe?
No, but I could have just called Kurt and alerted him to this post. I decided to go a different route, so I never perused it.