Trail Leader and Gunner Needs for 2017

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
This year has been more difficult than any other year I have ever been involved with finding leaders and gunners, and also the most difficult in finding where to put people on trails.

The two biggest contributors to this are:

(1) We have more registrants than ever, down to 199 at after the latest cancellation yesterday.
(2) First choices haven't worked so much, and (subjectively, I haven't gone back and done an analysis) it *seems* like fewer people are giving second or third choices, necessitating me calling and or emailing them to find out what other options might work for them.

As is the case every year, proven trail leaders are not even registered so we can't rely on them, and others who are great trail leaders are not familiar with the trail they are on. We certainly get that. We have needs for Kane Creek on Thursday, but I've only run that trail once, and that was 10 or so years ago, otherwise I'd put myself down.

So now to the point! Here are our current needs:

Here are the rest of our known needs as of this moment:

Arches 1 Thu - Gunner

Fins Sat - Gunner

Kane Creek Thu - Leader
Kane Creek Thu - Gunner

Metal Masher Fri - Gunner

Pritchett Canyon Thu - Gunner

Chicken Corner Fri - Gunner

Last edited:

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like we need to make the second choice a mandatory field next year.

The only two that I'd consider for Pritchett would be J. Kimmel & M. Bailey. Neither are registered for CM but both will be in town wheeling together. Might need to get them a day pass.

S. Brady is pretty over leading Kane. Might want to reach out to M. Farr.

IMO, neither Arches or CC need a traditional gunner. They're both virtually dirt roads and there just needs to be someone with a radio in the gunner position. Perhaps we utilize someone that attended the TLT... Evan Ashcroft & Jake Wright have expressed interest

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

The only two that I'd consider for Pritchett would be J. Kimmel & M. Bailey. Neither are registered for CM but both will be in town wheeling together. Might need to get them a day pass.

S. Brady is pretty over leading Kane. Might want to reach out to M. Farr.

IMO, neither Arches or CC need a traditional gunner. They're both virtually dirt roads and there just needs to be someone with a radio in the gunner position. Perhaps we utilize someone that attended the TLT... Evan Ashcroft & Jake Wright have expressed interest

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com

Agreed. During a phone conversation with Kipper today we discussed making 2nd and third choices mandatory and he was down with it.

I spoke with Mark about leading Pritchett before he cancelled entirely due to other issues. Jeremy never registered. Mark will not be in town due to other personal issues. I did not know Jeremy planned to be in town. I consider getting a leader for Pritchett on Thu one of the biggest challenges right now.

Steve Brady has made it clear he does not want to lead Kane Creek again, but he is on that trail that day. Based on our discussions I have him penciled in as gunner, which he is fine with, once I can get a leader. Matt Farr maybe?

Agreed, Arches doesn't need a "traditional" gunner, but still...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I can lead Kane Creek on Thursday or Saturday.
Also can lead Jax Trax on Saturday. Or Chicken Corners if that is preferable.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
When I offered to help lead a trail back in March, Suzie and I hadn't yet made plans for our time in Moab. In the three weeks since then, we've made plans that I don't want to change. Sorry.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
I can lead Kane Creek on Thursday or Saturday.
Also can lead Jax Trax on Saturday. Or Chicken Corners if that is preferable.

Matt, let's have you lead Kane Creek on Saturday. I will be on that trail but just a face in the crowd...this way you won't have to spot me, just everyone else. :hill:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member

I'm pretty sure we included second and third choices for trails, but I think the confusion comes in when people are registering and there are open slots for the trails they want to run. If you're registering for a trail as your first choice and there are 10 open slots for example, most people assume they're going to get that trail. I think most people presume the second and third choices are only for the times when your first choice is full or close to it.

Also I think it would be a great addition to allow you to specify if you're in a family or group of more than 1 vehicle and want to stay together and get registered to run the same trails. My wife and I are meeting her brother for Cruise Moab for a family trip, and as of now we're only on 1 of 3 trails together. If there was a way during registration to say we're flexible on trail assignments as long as we get assigned to the same trails, that would be extremely helpful. Of course people can send in requests to the CM inbox, but I'm sure Jeff gets inundated with various requests which makes it far more difficult to accommodate on the back end.

I can skip Sevenmile Rim this year on Thursday if you still need a gunner on Kane Creek on Thursday. Like you I have run the trip for quite a few years but still remember it, and I was planning on running it again.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I can skip Sevenmile Rim this year on Thursday if you still need a gunner on Kane Creek on Thursday. Like you I have run the trip for quite a few years but still remember it, and I was planning on running it again.

Thanks Brian, would you be able to lead it? That would be even better!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Woo Hoo!

C-Dan will lead Dome on Sat, just needs to prerun it. Ken Romer will prerun it with him. Scott Howe will gun, will move him off of Fins as gunner and on to Dome.

Down to the wire but it is getting better!

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
Jeff, after thinking about it, I think it would be better if I would not lead Kane Creek since it has been so long since I have run it. I would still be up be gunner.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Okay, so I talked Jeremy Kimmel into leading Pritchett on Thursday, that leaves our biggest need is a leader for Kane Creek on Thursday. I have gone through the registration master numerous times and there are couple guys from out of state who have checked the box that said they could lead it, but I don't know any of these guys. Can someone from Rising Sun or Wasatch, who isn't already leading a trail on Thursday, lead Kane Creek?

84cruzer

Trail Ready
Lead/Gun

Hey I could gun or lead one of the easier trails
Family fun run
chicken corners
Fins
Dome Plateau
Something like that
i kinda just want to ride with someone one day on one of the Harder trails that I don't want to run in my rig....
Let me know
Happy to help out....
I'm due to pay back the event