• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

TPS Sensor Problem

Nemo

Trail Ready
Not sure if this is related to my Transmission Kickdown issue but:::

Has or Can someone check what voltage they are getting at the TPS sensor when performing the "Measure voltage between terminals 1 and 2 of the throttle position sensor connector."

CAN someone post up what they get??? Please... I have had the TPS replaced and tested and all passes, but the FSM says that I should see 9 -14 Volts. I am really curious to what everyone else gets. I have also replaced / borrowed a ECU to see and still get the 7.2 Volts, not 9-14 like the FSM says.

I could really use the help. I have thrown 2 code 510's in the last couple of weeks which is the Closed Throttle Position Sensor position. I have had an erratic shifting problem when I hit the brake pedal, which I still haven't figured out, but the FSM says that when testing Pin's 1 and 2 together that I should see 9 - 14 volts. I get 7.2 Volts there and I get the same back at the ECU. I am just trying to see what others get if they actually test the pins. Isn't too hard to test and any help would be appreciated.

OBD II scan tool (excluding TOYOTA hand–held tester)
1 Check for open and short in harness or ECM.
PREPARATION:
(a) Disconnect throttle position sensor connector.
(b) Turn ignition switch ON.
CHECK:
Measure voltage between terminals 1 and 2 of throttle position
sensor connector.
OK:
Voltage: 9 – 14 V
OK Confirm good connection at sensor.
If OK, replace throttle position sensor.
NG
2 Check for open and short in harness and connector between throttle position
sensor and ECM (See page IN–28).
NG Open or short in harness between ECM and
throttle position sensor.
OK
Confirm connection at ECM.
If OK, replace ECM (See page IN–28).

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Nemo,

No clue on the above although you're more than welcome to come test my LX or 80 (or both) for what your looking for :). I don't have the tools (nor skill :() to check for you at this time.

On a side note though. I was digging into why, on my new to me 80, the gear position indicator doesn't "light up" below the gear selector (how's that for a terrible description?). Not the dash lights but on the console below the shifter.

Anywho, it was just a little burned out bulb that a trip to checker and $3 later resolved (woohoo my first 'fix' and now I know what the little light 'condoms' are that are mentioned MUD).

Under the console though I noticed, just above/ahead of where the PWR & 2nd switches would be, was a little black box, labeled "Sensor, Deceleration". Toyota part #89441-12020

I'm not sure what that little black box does but obviously it has something to do with braking as there is a warning on it to that effect. It probably doesn't have anything remotely to do with your kickdown issues you've been having but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. Since you mentioned the failure to kickdown happens when you touch the brakes and this little box seems to be brake related I figure it couldn't hurt to mention it.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
didn't you get the memo? :D

Attachments

• office_space_pic[3].jpg
    office_space_pic[3].jpg
    9 KB · Views: 156

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nemo,

No clue on the above although you're more than welcome to come test my LX or 80 (or both) for what your looking for :). I don't have the tools (nor skill :() to check for you at this time.

On a side note though. I was digging into why, on my new to me 80, the gear position indicator doesn't "light up" below the gear selector (how's that for a terrible description?). Not the dash lights but on the console below the shifter.

Anywho, it was just a little burned out bulb that a trip to checker and $3 later resolved (woohoo my first 'fix' and now I know what the little light 'condoms' are that are mentioned MUD).

Under the console though I noticed, just above/ahead of where the PWR & 2nd switches would be, was a little black box, labeled "Sensor, Deceleration". Toyota part #89441-12020

I'm not sure what that little black box does but obviously it has something to do with braking as there is a warning on it to that effect. It probably doesn't have anything remotely to do with your kickdown issues you've been having but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. Since you mentioned the failure to kickdown happens when you touch the brakes and this little box seems to be brake related I figure it couldn't hurt to mention it.

That is one of the airbag sensors! Leave it alone!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is also one on the passenger side.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nemo,
<snip>

That is one of the airbag sensors! Leave it alone!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is also one on the passenger and driver sides.

Nemo

Trail Ready
Just wanted to update everyone. My transmission problem is fixed as well as my TPS is solved. It was a bad wire from the ECU to the TPS. It was the IDL wire (Green / White) and must have been toasted somewhere between. The only other thing I have to work on is getting my Cruise Control ECU hooked back in which is a Splice from the Green / White to the IDL of the TPS. Not even sure how much I care being here in the beautiful rockies. CC doesn't do much anyways :)... Well I probably should see Christo and Team to get them to clean up my wiring. Have you seen one of them solder. Work of art. Mine... Blobs of metal, but functioning at least.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
That is one of the airbag sensors! Leave it alone!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is also one on the passenger and driver sides.

:eek:

Thanks UB...Didn't see any mention of anything to do with airbags and only saw the one but good to know to stay away from that thing! :)