Tossing out a potential UT trip 2/10-2/13

Smakee

My last day at my current job was today. Off for the next 2 weeks. I’m trying to figure out an easy trip out to UT, maybe Black Dragon, Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse area. Doesn’t look great for finishing my 80 build before next week, but there’s still hope. But regardless I just want to take advantage of the time and get out in the desert with a campfire, disconnected. If I don’t get the 80 driveable, I’ll just bring my 200. Figured I’d throw it out there if anyone has a bug, and the time to get out and explore that area.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Me and some other Toyota 4x4 enthusiasts are doing the White Rim Trail from 2/12 - 2/15. I think since it's the off season reservations for campsites should still be open?

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Me and some other Toyota 4x4 enthusiasts are doing the White Rim Trail from 2/12 - 2/15. I think since it's the off season reservations for campsites should still be open?
Four days for White Rim is a lot. Is there an extended plan? Also, don’t count on reservations until you have them confirmed.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Jan and Feb are usually the quietest times so looks like you could still put together an intinerary for a permit right now. Doesn't look like White Crack or Murphy are options, these are awesome camps and make a nice 1/2 way point.

The thing to watch is weather. If it snows parts of WRT (Hardscrabble for example) can get really sloppy.

CanyPermitsfec2021.png

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Four days for White Rim is a lot. Is there an extended plan? Also, don’t count on reservations until you have them confirmed.
We are giving them a call today to confirm our reservations. What are plan is is to drive down and make it to our first campsite (Airport) on Friday. We'll be entering through Shafer Canyon on Potash Road. Saturday evening our next spot to camp will be (Murphy) We'll have some hobbyist photographers with us so our plan was to take it pretty slow. On Sunday we were going to drive to our next campsite (Horsethief), and then Drive home Monday. None of us have ever done the White Rim trail before so any other insight would be great!
Jan and Feb are usually the quietest times so looks like you could still put together an intinerary for a permit right now. Doesn't look like White Crack or Murphy are options, these are awesome camps and make a nice 1/2 way point.

The thing to watch is weather. If it snows parts of WRT (Hardscrabble for example) can get really sloppy.
We have our permits purchased and were calling the park today to confirm our reservations. Were watching the weather closely, they told us on the phone that it can get sloppy with the weather. None of us have ever done the White Rim trail before so any other insight would be great!

Maybe PM me @Mendocino and @DaveInDenver so as to not steal @Smakee 's thread....sorry....

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We are giving them a call today to confirm our reservations. What are plan is is to drive down and make it to our first campsite (Airport) on Friday. We'll be entering through Shafer Canyon on Potash Road. Saturday evening our next spot to camp will be (Murphy) We'll have some hobbyist photographers with us so our plan was to take it pretty slow. On Sunday we were going to drive to our next campsite (Horsethief), and then Drive home Monday. None of us have ever done the White Rim trail before so any other insight would be great!

We have our permits purchased and were calling the park today to confirm our reservations. Were watching the weather closely, they told us on the phone that it can get sloppy with the weather. None of us have ever done the White Rim trail before so any other insight would be great!

Maybe PM me @Mendocino and @DaveInDenver so as to not steal @Smakee 's thread....sorry....
You could start a planning thread. As a moderator you have the ability to move posts, right? Your timeline for Friday is aggressive IMO. It's about a 1.5 to 2 hours from Moab to the Shafer/White Rim Junction doing the Potash route and about another 2 hours from there to Airport CG if you don't stop for anything. But doing that will miss The Gooseneck and Musselman Arch at minimum. Plus you don't ever see Shafer switchbacks. I'd suggest camping up top Friday night along UT212 and doing 3 nights at most on WRT or at least hustle out on highways and descending Shafer leaving enough time to sightsee before Airport. I'd leave Potash for a day trip some other time personally. You'd only need a backcountry use permit (either camping or day) if you turn left on White Rim. If you hit the junction from Potash and go right back up Shafer to the rim all you'd need is a NPS pass.

Last edited:

Smakee

Would love to do this trip. I've never done WRT before and it's on my list. I had to cancel a Lockhart Basin trip in November, and it killed me. Unfortunately, I can't be gone the whole weekend. I've got flexibility on the front end but as of right now, I need to get back in the afternoon on Saturday 2/13.

I'm researching possible trails to explore and also thinking about throwing in a few hikes on the trip too. There's so many off-shoots and canyon forks, and washes to choose from in the area. Open to suggestions if anybody has any favorite camp spots, hikes or cool sites to see.

Smakee

So looks like I'm not getting out tomorrow. @DanTheMan are you still planning your trip? My kids are bugging to get out of the house also (not the original intent of this trip), and they have Monday/Tuesday off from school. I don't know much about the flexibility of the reservations or what you all have planned...but maybe something could line up here.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
We're still planning on going currently, our reservations have been confirmed. We'll be there till Monday.

This isn't in Utah but a cool sight to see would be the Great Sand Dunes! You can take Medano Pass into the park. A lot of great camp spots along the way.

Smakee

Haha. That would be a whole different level of cold.

If my kids come with me, I may just stick to the original plan and take them around Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse and bring our teardrop. Tons of hikes I can take them on and don’t have to worry about permits or planning.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Haha. That would be a whole different level of cold.

If my kids come with me, I may just stick to the original plan and take them around Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse and bring our teardrop. Tons of hikes I can take them on and don’t have to worry about permits or planning.
Let me know if you find some good kid stuff around there. We are heading to that area (Temple mountain probably) mid-march for an early spring get away.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
I haven't been to Goblin Valley but I've heard good things, should be really fun for the kids!