• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

tires...thread...again

FJBen

Would you Q78? on factory wheels? and what is the difference between the OEM disc vs. drum?

Other options are Trxus, MT/R...

My Fj40, 350, sm420, SOA... DD when I don't ride my bicycle...maybe 4~5K miles a year...

thoughts?

has to be one of my favorite looking 40's!

attachment.php

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
and what is the difference between the OEM disc vs. drum?

QUOTE]

i'm assuming you're talking about oem rims...drums are a riveted rim and i think the back spacing is a tad different, although it's the rivets that are the biggest issue clearing the calipers. also, if you look closely, there's a very slight difference in the shape of the centersections between the two.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'm an MT/R guy, but after seeing the Toyos in action and understanding how nice they ride on the highway to boot, I'm rethinking that.

FJBen

Yeah, the toyo's happen to be the most expensive out of the bunch...

I wonder how their sidewalls compare to say the Trxus or the MT/R...

I'm not opposed to any of these tires....and have run the Trxus on my 80. Have not wheeled MT/R's...or used Toyo's...

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
The Q78's will be a MUCH rougher ride compared to the others you mentioned. I'm running the 34x10.5 - 15 LTB's on stock steel wheels. They are pretty close to the Q78's. Lots of noise (I don't mind), difficult to balance (slight vibration at speed), and they will wear out quickly (expected this, and they're cheap). :)

I like that rig too:

151167471-L.jpg

Poser shot of my rig from Moab '07:

150465090-L.jpg

:thumb:

FJBen

man I love the looks of those!

yeah I'd prolly not be happy with swampers and all my onroad driving...

time for BFG A/T :eek: j/k :lmao:

mt/r's perpetually backordred...
toyo's got quoted $279.00 a tire for 35's...um...no :rolleyes:

the search continues!

Nay

Hard Core 4+
You could get the Coopers...tread is about identical to Toyos.

You know trxus...I think if you go trxus in 35's you probably want to get some dyna beads (Innovative Balancing) after the weights are slapped on just to cure the changes that come quickly with trxus in the balance area. Trxus really have no other downside for a low mileage rig and Discount gives you a lifetime balance in the price.

I wouldn't write off the Toyos, though. Shop around. You figure trxus are like $225 a tire before mount and balance from Discount, so if you could get the Toyos even at $275 that's only $200 over at a good 4 years @ 5K miles a year. So say $50 a year for tires that balance and ride well in big sizes is really a no brainer.

I personally don't buy that any of these road MT tires are all that much better than another when our conditions are dry and rocky (trxus, MTR, Toyo, Cooper, etc...all in the same basic class). You gotta truly be pushing the limits to find those differences, so to me it comes down to all the other driving you do, like wet weather, maybe snow, highway speeds, long trips, etc. $50 a year for tires that hit that offroad standard as well as do all the other stuff well is just worth it, hence the premium, because you are effectively getting an AT onroad with high end MT offroad performance.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Ever look into Fun Country II's? I'm not a Toyo fan and I am really leaning towards the Cepeks. They balance very well and unlike the Toyo's thay have a reputation for exceeding 40k mile tread life.

man I love the looks of those!

yeah I'd prolly not be happy with swampers and all my onroad driving...

time for BFG A/T :eek: j/k :lmao:

mt/r's perpetually backordred...
toyo's got quoted $279.00 a tire for 35's...um...no :rolleyes:

the search continues!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
What about the MT Baja MTZ?

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaMTZRadial

I really like the look of the tire and seriously considered them before going with the Toyo MTs because they were more readily available in the short timeframe I had to get new tread (read bald Michellins with snow forecasted)

FJBen

I may have located a set of used/new MT/R's so hopefully that will pan out...

I realize they are all basically about the same in terms of performance off road/on road. I did like the trxus but I'm always wanting to try something different :D

The MT/Z's look intriguing...I just haven't heard much on them, always makes me nervous when spending $800+

Kevin, you have heard bad treadlife on the Toyo's??? I thought they were supposed to last longer than MT/R's...hmmm

Cepeks...36X10.50X15 :thumb: except for the $300 pricetag!!! :eek:

The 35's look priced well, although they don't look very aggressive...hmmm

I may go look at the coopers at the tire store, they have some close to me.