Tire Size Question for 4Runners

CBone

Hard Core 4+
I am a daily viewer of your board and an infrequent visitor to Rising Sun meetings and think you all may be able to help. I am ready to replace my 265/75R16 BFG A/Ts and saw BFG now offers a 285/75R16. On a 16x8" rim, the side profile is 11.4", with a height of 32.8", as opposed to my current tire, where the dimensions are about 10.6" and 31.7". I am running OME suspension so I have clearance. Is anyone running this size tire, any thoughts. I don't want to go too high, but thought the extra inch might be nice. Thanks in advance for input and thoughts.

Last edited:
Assuming 3rd Gen, 882 front OME's, Yes 285's will work fine with minimal rub. Currently running 285 MTR's on stock wheels on 2002 3rd Gen-

Aaron

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Holy new guys! Welcome... 285's will definitely not fit a 3rd gen with stock height, it'll rub everywhere just backing out of the driveway. Jaderunner runs that size in GY MTRr's, but he definitely has a lift. He may be able to tell you more though. hth...

Darren

nakman said:
285's will definitely not fit a 3rd gen with stock height, it'll rub everywhere just backing out of the driveway.

I agree that setup would rub, but I bet it won't be as severe as one might think. Standard trimming, and pounding of the body seam in the front and I bet they'll work pretty good. I've never seen anyone run 285s without a lift, and I don't see any good reason to try it. That being said, mine sits only a half-inch higher in the front than the '96-'99s. And, I'm running 8" wheels which makes the rubbing worse. The fact that CBonilla is already lifted makes all of the above moot anyway.

CBonilla, as Aaron stated, you are set to go. I bet you'll gain closer to an inch of clearance and closer to 2" with the tire size diameter. That is the case with the MT/Rs in those sizes at any rate. Certainly not too tall by any means.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
My daughters 99 4runner has a 2.5" OME lift and runs 285 MTR's with no issues or other modifications.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Check for sale

I believe someone was selling a set of 285 bfg's Good excuse to get a lift.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well I wasn't going to say anything :rolleyes: but I believe someone's also selling a set of BFG 295's. .3" taller!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Wow, a third gen thread. Cool. :) Hey Darren.

So we all know you have to have a lift for 285's, it sounds like he has a lift already.

It's the wheel size width\backspacing that's really in question here. The 10x8 wheel he's getting will fit the tires nicely but may rub the a-arm depending on the wheel backspacing. Or a spacer may need to be added. I run the stock 7" wheel so I don't have the detail measurements that he needs. Darren runs 10x8" wheels I believe, so he may know more regarding the backspacing that's needed.

Aaron\Cbonnilla, I look forward to meeting you and your runner's at a meeting or run sometime. There's not too many modified 3rd gens around here.

I didn't know Rachel is running big MTR's, we need to get her some armor and get her out on the trail.

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
JadeRunner said:
There's not too many modified 3rd gens around here.

There's more than you think HeHe :wav:

Scott and Darren (Hey Derren) touched on backspacing so let me just add that fender flares also play a factor. Limited flares and <4" back spacing could cause some rubbing. 285's, 2- 2.5" lift, stock 16x7JJ or 16x8 with stock to 4"BS, SR5 flares and some minor trimming and seam pounding is a proven combination.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
JadeRunner said:
Wow, a third gen thread. Cool. :) ...I didn't know Rachel is running big MTR's, we need to get her some armor and get her out on the trail.
Didja hear that, FatherOfDaughterOfRomer? So now the truth's out, it ain't just me costing you money by encouraging your DaughterOfRomer...:lmao: :thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
JadeRunner said:
Wow, a third gen thread. Cool. :) Hey Darren.

It's the wheel size width\backspacing that's really in question here. The 10x8 wheel he's getting will fit the tires nicely but may rub the a-arm depending on the wheel backspacing. Or a spacer may need to be added. I run the stock 7" wheel so I don't have the detail measurements that he needs. Darren runs 10x8" wheels I believe, so he may know more regarding the backspacing that's needed.

10x8 has gotta need some serious spacers to clear the calipers don't it? Think thats the same as my old go-cart had on the rear!
:lmao: :Princess: :lmao: :flamingo: :lmao: :hill:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
10x8 wheels must be me thinking (or not thinking) in a hurry at work. Too many darn people with computer problems, how's a guy supposed to get quality forum time at work anymore.

I think Seldom Seen has the right answers.