• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Tire carrier gas strut install

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I saw a few of these in Moab, most notably the "Ali Bumper" and Semlin's new one from 4x4labs.. it doesn't usually take much to get my wheels turning, so of course I had to have one. here's what I came up with:

Attachments

• nak_tire_strut.jpg
    nak_tire_strut.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 401
  • nak_tire_strut1.jpg
    nak_tire_strut1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 430
  • nak_tire_strut2.jpg
    nak_tire_strut2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 430
  • nak_tire_strut3.jpg
    nak_tire_strut3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 415

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hardest part was committing to the mounting points, and making sure the full motion of the tire carrier is within the strut's travel, also making sure the strut didn't interfere with the tailgate. On flat ground or slight inclines, the tire will extend by itself, held in place only by the strut. Closing it is sweet too, no more slamming and somehow it feels like the strut helps keep it closed while you're doing the latch. On larger inclines (when the pivot is uphill) the tire's much easier to push open, but you still have to use the other "catch" mechanism to keep it from coming closed into the tailgate. So not perfect, but not bad... and under $30. :cheers: :popcorn:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I like it, great tech. The strut seems easy enough and the price is reasonable.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Thanks! free peeks when you collect your hot dogger...

wesintl

RS Moderator
Sweet, Once I get a tire carrier I'll add a strut that's for sure :)