Timing is everything. Adventure Offroad is closing in Colorado

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Anyhow. Life presents it self with Opportunities all the time. My wife and I are moving to Scottsdale AZ, We bought an Acre(and are buying the acre next door as well). About 400 yards from a National forest Gate, and a few thousand miles of offroad trails. We bought the first acre last year about this time. Covid has really slowed down all permit processes and created some fun jigs and jags. Anyhow, We are building a house, pool, and a shop. With Future plans for a couple small rental Casitas on the property(hence the second acre). And Yes, Robin and I will be escaping in the Summer to Alaska and the property we own there.
I was not really closing the doors till this fall(Sept or Oct). But I had a accident Saturday the 5th. I was with my Brother in Law, Ernie moving some shelves. These were heavy Steel home made shelves. 16 ft long, 6ft high, using some 1/4 X 4" steel as a facing, 5 shelves high. They fell, I was able to get out from under neath. But in the process of holding up the shelves to get out from under them, I tore my Quadiceps muscle from the tendon at the knee cap. I get it
fixed this coming Thursday. So, I am not accepting any more work in the shop. These next few days, Ty and I will be finishing up what we can before my Surgery on Thursday. My customers that are in the shop, know. After the Doc releases me to be back in the shop. I again will be finishing up the 5 trucks(I hope one? maybe two will be done, Ty has a Mini truck to do a engine swap in) in the shop with Ty's help. This injury has a long, long recovery time. I wish I had broken a bone) , Tendons and Ligament have the worst healing times.
Yes, it really sucks, But as with the other injuries I have had in the past, it will heal and I typically come out on top.
It has been a pleasure to be part of the club, even though I made choices to not participate the last 5-6 years. I will still keep up as an associate member(I think this is a thing, or use to be). I believe I will get with the Copper state club after I get settled in.
Anyhow, I do hope you all have a great life. Best wishes.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Best of luck in your future endeavors

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Sorry to hear about the accident Robbie. Here's to hoping you heal fast.

Are you thinking about a working shop down in Phoenix or are you done turning wrenches to be a landlord? Best of luck and congrats either way! My in-laws live just north of Scottsdale and the word I got was high today was predicted to be 116°. Yikes! Alaska for the win.

Last edited:

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Robbie - so sorry to hear you got hurt!
Sound like it could have been a lot worse - so glad you are relatively okay.
Hopefully you recover quickly.

My Dad does the AZ to AK routine, they are up in Homer now, but they winter in Prescott.

Sorry I never got to bring those steering boxes by to get them rebuilt. I know Shawn sure enjoyed working with you on his 60.

Leanne and I will always remember you and Robin were a big part of our first Cruise Moab experience. I think it was you that was telling her she needed to drive, and then the fun would sink in.

Be well Robbie!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sounds like a cool plan, Robbie. Sorry to hear about your injury — that sounds awful. Hope your surgery and healing all are uneventful and speedy.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Robbie, I have not seen you in too long, I am very sorry to hear you have injured yourself. Please let us know how we can help you get to where you want to be. Best wishes my friend.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Robbie, so sorry to hear of your injury, but happy to hear you have plans to come out on top in the end. It's been swell to know you and to learn from you. Best wishes to you and Robin and Ty on your new adventure.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Oh man - I am so sorry to hear about your knee. Whatever you need you know where I am. We are bringing you and Robin dinner as soon as you are able to sit up and eat! The rest I mostly knew and I'm still bummed that you'll be leaving town but I know it will be great for you two.

Woodsman

Trail Ready
Ouch ! Hope the healing is quick and you get back on your feet sooner than expected.
Arizona is a beautiful state as well and I'm sure it'll be a great new chapter for you.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Wish you the best in this next chapter, Robbie! :beer2:

Nemo

Trail Ready
Robbie, It has been a blessing and pleasure to have you around in Colorado. We met all the way back in 06 when you were at Slee. What a wealth of knowledge and can't wait to see what you end up with for a shop. I am sure it will be used :)

Take Care and hope our paths cross on the trails and not in the shop. LOL

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Robbie,
While we haven't spent lots of time together in my brief time around here I can say with certainty that you'll be deeply missed.

The number of stories I've heard around meetings and campfires about the legend himself are the real testament to your legacy in this club.

Best of luck with healing and moving forward!
Please do keep up with us here and as an associate member!

Last edited:

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Well not going to be just a land lord. I will be doing some work once I get a shop built. Really looking forward to not making someone else's
mortage payment on a building(which for the last 8-9 years has been more than the house mortage, just plain crazy). The extra money I save will be used to fund the summers in AK, pay the house off quicker. I know one thing, I may even play with some
domestic muscle car rebuilds in the future, or may dabble in the Electric conversion market. Sky is the limit when you do not need to pay a rental on a shop.
Or, may even do some off road training, may even try and get re-certified as off road trainer. One never knows.
TJ, will have to get some information on your parents. My property is in Ninilchik, Which is 1/2 way between Homer and Soldotna. When in AK, usually in Homer once a week.
Besides, 63-64 YY, time to kick back a little and enjoy life more. The older I get the more I cherish time off, in the back country of north america.
Too many places to explore, so little time to do it.
Thanks for all the great posts.

wesintl

RS Moderator
congrats, best of luck to you and Robin!!

llewdis

Rock Stacker
Robbie I only met you once, but you blew my mind with all of the knowledge you had on 40 series and all the work that needs to be done on mine! I wish you a speedy recovery from surgery and plenty of time to pursue your interests in your next chapter! Thanks for your help!

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
That's awesome! It's a good time to sell a house and get out of CO.

AZ is nice and there will be plenty of opportunities to work on selective projects. You have the reputation to charge whatever you want to build someone else's dream that doesn't have the time or the knowledge.

Best of luck to you.

When's the land cruiser spare part garage sale 👀👀

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
That is going to be quite the recovery. I lived in AZ for 20 years. I particularly liked the 4 Peaks area. From Scottsdale you can be on dirt in 20 cruising up to wooded high desert. I remember being at 6000’ 45 minutes after leaving the house and having fun getting there. That and the back side of Roosevelt Lake is epic and quiet. The road just west of the Verde River up to Childs along the power lines saw very few people too. Get to the Verde or Sheep’s Crossing and swim is pretty fun.

My dad on taking in the Sonoran Desert called it “Nature Armed To The Teeth”. It’s amazing. Start reading about combatting scorpions. We have friends who built out by Mayo in raw desert and 10 mos in they said the least number of scorpions they killed in a day was 7. Evidently they love framing and roof trusses and take up residence during construction. So he said that he wished he had known before insulating. My uncle abuts a desert wash and he places contact paper under the door. He swears by it. That paper always has a collection.

Thanks for everything you’ve done for me here.

coax

Hard Core 4+
Sorry to hear about the accident, hoping you have a quick recovery! So cool about the new opportunity and moving to AZ & AK! If you ever pass through Oregon on your way between the two let me know!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Robbie,

Best of luck to you in this next adventure!!

Sure am thankful for the times we had together out exploring or talking on the phone. Our Two person Outlaws Run in 2005 was a trip I look back on many times.

Excited for your next stage.

"He's a damn fine driver, that Robbie"

outlawsrun 2005 072.jpg

:beer: :beer: