Timing belt on a 3.0l 4 runner

I am debating to change my timing belt out before my trip back east (WV). the trip is about 3000+ miles round trip. The truck runs and goes right now, it just has a tendency to spit and sputter when I get on the gas to go.

will the belt change fix this? Will it increase my milage? I currently get 16-18 on the highway. Is it worth the risk in trying to get it done before I go on the 19th, or do I wait and do it when I get back?

any advice from some people that have done the change before. I am mechanically inclined, I currently do not have a belt tension tool.

suggestions :eek:

thanks for all your help

hykerwilson@gmail.com
Hyker

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
16-18 on the highway is something to be proud of with a 3.slow in a 4Runner.

Your timing belt was last done... when?

Timing belt failure is not gradually going out of tune, it is suddenly going to non-running. It is unlikely to do anything for the sputter nor mileage.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I don't think so. Anything is possible, but given the design it would be the same day I would go out and buy $100 worth of lottery tickets. And I don't buy lottery tickets. :lmao:

Ok More Info

I had issues with it overheating, that is a crack in the radiator. spewing fluid out randomly. Since fixed, with new radiator.

There is however, a broken out portion in the timing belt cover right over by where the crack in the radiator was. What I am getting at is the antifreeze may have (most likely) gotten on to the belt. Could the belt be stretchy now? ant this be causing my mis timing?

I have put a timing light on it, and it does jump around (what I would consider a lot) more than 5 degrees. up and down.

this help any with the diagnosis.

is it worth the $$ for a 3.4 swap? I am considering if I need to put a new engine in the next year or so. (172k on current)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yes, the 3.4 swap is worth it. Especially since having overheated, you may have stressed the already barely-making-it headgasket design and it may be leaving the land of the living. This swap option is especially attractive as the 3.0 to 3.4 swap is infinitely easier than the 22RE to 3.4 swap, and therefore cheaper. A harness from Mike Caskey at Off Road Solutions makes it much easier. I notice his harness prices are coming down (he is building a lot of them).

Sounds like your distributor bearing has some slop? Just a guess. It is hard to imagine the timing belt being the cause of your distributor timing slop but anything is possible.

More info please.

Is the distributor bearing slop in the distributor? or in the block? I have actually tried two distributors (both used and off old motors)

I actually still had the recall available from the dealer with the head gasket. I drove from Kentucky and it started doing that over heating spewing thing, I decided to stop towing with it and tow it instead. I took it to a dealer in Denver and had them do the recall work.

Since then (May) my valves tap more, but most likely irrelevant.

So can I fix or check that distributor slop issue to see if it is that, it would be great to fix it. The timing jumps enough that it can't get out of its own way some times. and then others it goes like a (injured) bat out of hell.

thanks again.
Hyker