The Soy Latte Build...vintage '93 (i'm boring...just a warning)

FJBen

Yes, I'm a little odd today, not that that is anything out of the norm, but spending 4+ hours today in a Prius when you are 6'4" can do strange things to you. Good thing a stop by Slee Offroad along the way helped.

Anyways, I digress...here is the psuedo buildup thread for no reason. Started out 5 years ago with a 93 Land Cruiser, 1 owner Female Dr. owner, purchased and every service a Peterson Toyota in Ft. Collins. I've been dying to build this 80 series up...been through many vehicle..hell the last one I had to :flop: :( anyways...the wife has her newer one so I get old faithful.

1993 bone stock with lockers, 194K and the only problem we have had so far is the power steering pump went last year and the rear E-locker that decided to not engage. It's working now, here's a writeup I did..

E-locker replace/fix

The first mod was to remove the running boards, my wife is 5'11" i'm 6'4" so we don't use them, and just hit our shins on them. This was the only mod for 4.5 LOOOONG years. Next was the ARB front winch bumper which paid for itself two weeks after install when we hit a deer at 70 MPH in Kansas....NO DAMAGE :D thats bueno! So again for 5 months it sit like this...getting better...

so after my :flop: the wife got a new ride(s) and I finally got my 80. I put the 285 a/t's on it temporarily.

Then came the roof rack removal so I could "hopefully" fit her in the garage after the lift.

The next just fell in my lap, Actionjackson (the guy who's 80 is on 40's) had me first in line for his used rear TJM bumper tire carrier which needed some TLC(pun intended) for a very nice price, to cheap to pass. The slee was my first choice but would have to wait a year(s) It was missing the mount for the tire carrier and the bearings were TOAST...The guys in my fab shop built a tire mount 3" higher to accomodate a 315 ;) and not hang so low. I got new bearings at a parts place in town and fixed that. everything is getting better!

My initial lift was to be the Old Man Emu "J" lift with 1.25" alum. spacers. After checking a lot on mud people said it worked well with "light" 80's but could get squishy...I decided to stepup to Christo's 4" springs up front and run the J's in the rears for a "level" look. If it sags in the rear, I'll sell those and get his 4" springs.

As for caster, the plan is to use some of Slee's arms when they come in, in a few weeks. These arms alleve the need for a DC driveshaft :thumb: and are beefy!!! I'll make all the spacers/bumpstops and extend the lines. I'll get the DIY panhard those later as well.

The tires are on order and should be in, in about 2 weeks...they better BE!!! i'm going with the Toyo Open Country M/T, 315 75 R16. Hopefully they'll treat me well.

The lift is "scheduled" to go on this weekend...stay tuned for more :blah:

and now some poser pics...

how she sits today:
fullcruiser.jpg

The used TJM setup:
rear.jpg

The part we built, 1/4" steel
tiremount.jpg

FJBen

4" Lift done...mostly..except for caster correction...

116-1692_IMG.jpg

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Looks ready for those 35's :D

What did you use for panhard correction?

FJBen

Nay said:
Looks ready for those 35's :D

What did you use for panhard correction?

LOL...if only i could find 35's ;) maybe tuesday... :D

No panhard correction at them moment...plans are Slee or I know there was another post about someone finding another places (summit or some shop) that had a different version...

wesintl

RS Moderator
Looks good Ben :)

Nay

Hard Core 4+
FJBen said:
LOL...if only i could find 35's ;) maybe tuesday... :D

No panhard correction at them moment...plans are Slee or I know there was another post about someone finding another places (summit or some shop) that had a different version...

Here's your very near future on 35" trxus :D

OME medium is fairly well overwhelmed by these tires...not enough spring rate or shock compression valving...need that new 3" suspension and Bilsteins!!!

Attachments

• Full 35's.jpg
    Full 35's.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 183

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nay said:
Here's your very near future on 35" trxus :D

OME medium is fairly well overwhelmed by these tires...not enough spring rate or shock compression valving...need that new 3" suspension and Bilsteins!!!

Need a little more space between the wells and tires doood! ;) Like this perhaps.....

Attachments

• Ricecake--&-Longgrain.jpg
    Ricecake--&-Longgrain.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 186

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Uncle Ben said:
Need a little more space between the wells and tires doood! ;) Like this perhaps.....

Looks good!!! What do you think of the trxus on first impression?

I am sticking with the 3" lift to run 35's...these tires are huge and the wheel wells are starting to swallow 'em up even on 2" of lift...just what I need is more lift and a reason to spend $2K on 37's :D

FJBen

I'll post up pics here shortly...getting ready to drop her off at the tire shop. The 35's should rit nicely with the 4" lift

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nay said:
Looks good!!! What do you think of the trxus on first impression?

I am sticking with the 3" lift to run 35's...these tires are huge and the wheel wells are starting to swallow 'em up even on 2" of lift...just what I need is more lift and a reason to spend $2K on 37's :D

I have been very happy with the TrXus MT's! I had no expectations of them when I got them because I wanted 315 MTR's and I couldn't get them at the time. Needless to say I was pleasently surprised! Quiet, awesome traction, true 35's outweight the 3k balance and rotate need! :thumb:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Uncle B, (or anyone), where would you recommend a fella go to get some Trxus's mounted & balanced? Like tomorrow, hypothetically speaking... :rolleyes: Any Discount Tire?

FJBen

Much better this is with the 285's in the back

117-1704_IMG.jpg

117-1705_IMG.jpg

Nay

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
Uncle B, (or anyone), where would you recommend a fella go to get some Trxus's mounted & balanced? Like tomorrow, hypothetically speaking... :rolleyes: Any Discount Tire?

I think Discount does a good job...haven't had any issues with them...they sell at lot of Interco tires around here so shouldn't be any surprises for them...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:

Of course I only patronize those who support me or the club so I only use TCI in Boulder. BTW think I sold Nate at TCI a Banner today! :thumb: Anywhere is better than 4WPW! Make sure you have them weight front and back of the wheel and YOU DON'T WANT TAPE WEIGHTS!

wesintl

RS Moderator
That Looks Perfect Ben...

I'm starting to get 80 envy :(

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nay said:
I think Discount does a good job...haven't had any issues with them...they sell at lot of Interco tires around here so shouldn't be any surprises for them...

Ben,
I totally suck! I responded to the hijack but I ignored you! :eek: Your truck looks AWESOME! Maybe I can make up for it....need a spare used Trxus? It has probably 50% tread left. $50obo

FJBen

Uncle Ben said:
Ben,
I totally suck! I responded to the hijack but I ignored you! :eek: Your truck looks AWESOME! Maybe I can make up for it....need a spare used Trxus? It has probably 50% tread left. $50obo

HECK YA! sounds like that would work out fine...no worries on the hi-jack...it's shameless posing you know how we :Princess: 80 owners are. if it's a 35 then it's bueno!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
FJBen said:
HECK YA! sounds like that would work out fine...no worries on the hi-jack...it's shameless posing you know how we :Princess: 80 owners are. if it's a 35 then it's bueno!
It tis! :cheers: