• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

The new cruiser

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
So i just went and picked up that cruiser that was on CL i talked him down to $700. It has New Fenders, aprons, tires, battery, and all four turn signal signals. The PO said that the starter wasn't hooked up right so it doesn't run, Since it doesn't run we strapped it to the trusty highlander. Once we got home i wanted to see if i could bump start it, after a bit it started running, there was SO MUCH SMOKE you couldn't see anything all the neighbors came out and looked in discussed :hill: Anyway the rust is minimal, alot better that my other 40, the only problem with it is it doesn't run unless its moving and thrown in gear, when i looked under the hood after pulling it the motor was soaked in oil, my dad said it was spraying out of the bottom, i don't really know much about engines so fixing that is going to be a big problem for me. Any suggestions? Oh and i havent had time to flip the bezel:)
5b246f6575e4.jpg

4117c446fcae.jpg

e8b27f045868.jpg

2c5f250e5621.jpg

04dfdbb906ef.jpg

81c1d9a9996d.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
cool~ :D

Tear out that Detroit crap and put in an F. Then drive it and enjoy. ;)

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Change all the fluids, plugs, wires, cap, air filter, spray some carb cleaner down the carb, check the points and give it a rip...

2f all the way man! 700 bucks is a good deal if you ask me.

Rezarf <><

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Tear out that Detroit crap and put in an F. Then drive it and enjoy. ;)

Yeah. I'd vote for stock. I probably have most of the motor mounts you'd need. :eek: :grinpimp:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It will be cheaper to fix what you already have, unless there is a hole in the block. I say fix the Chebbie motor and wheel it. :)

Vitesse_6

Wasatch Cruisers
It will be cheaper to fix what you already have, unless there is a hole in the block. I say fix the Chebbie motor and wheel it. :)

Werd :D

Nice find, I saw the post on mud

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Engine looks like an early 283 or 327. I'm guessing it has a crank case breather tube instead of a PCV system. The early small blocks ahd slighly offset valve cover mounting bosses that prevent just swapping covers with later model PVC provisions. If you snoop around you might be able to find some aftermarket 'Vette valve covers that had the off set bosses and PVC system. A better option would be to source a later model small block in good running condition and swap it out. You can score carburetted Cheby engines quite cheap unless they are from early 'Vettes of Camero's. If possible score a late 60's truck motor. All early truck motors (and most large station wagons) had 4 bolt mains and camper special trucks all had the 1.94 Camel back heads! (Thats a good thing!)

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Lowest cost option would be finding a carb'd Chevy truck that's on its 2nd engine (they all are, far as I can tell ;-)) and put that engine in it. As gas goes up, old 2WD pickups should become nearly free in price.

I bought a factory-reman 350 (used) for $450 and it tested out great and put my plow truck back on the road for cheap. Being a rarely used truck, I really didn't need a GM factory new engine.

Having said that, I'd find a clean 2F from an FJ60 and stick that in there, but it's likely to be a bit more work. Then you'll have a real cruiser engine with real torque.

Steve

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Thanks for the advice guys:thumb:

Ben, your right it is a 283 from a corvette. The po said it was running until the starter and fuel pump went out, He recently rebuilt the carb & distributor and the engine was professionally installed. I think im going to poke around at it and see if i can fix it myself, if that fails ill start looking into a new motor, which in that case ill get a 2f.

Did 74's come with the stock black wheels? it looks like there's gray under the flaking black.

Thanks again guys!! Im sure ill have alot more questions

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the advice guys:thumb:

Ben, your right it is a 283 from a corvette. The po said it was running until the starter and fuel pump went out, He recently rebuilt the carb & distributor and the engine was professionally installed. I think im going to poke around at it and see if i can fix it myself, if that fails ill start looking into a new motor, which in that case ill get a 2f.

Did 74's come with the stock black wheels? it looks like there's gray under the flaking black.

Thanks again guys!! Im sure ill have alot more questions

If it truly is an old 'Vette motor you can prolly sell it to a purist for enough coin to replace it with a non-leaker!

BTW Uncle Ben is just what some silly kids call me. ;) :lmao:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Kevin needs to update his sig - the FZJ80 name.

Boulder Cruiser

Trail Ready
Ok guys after taking a bunch of parts off of this one and putting them on my other 40 ive decided to go ahead and make it into a crawler. Theres going to be alot of tube so i wont need most of the parts on it. I listed some of the stuff on ebay but let me know if you need anything.