• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

The Mojave Road - Rescheduled for some point in 2021. :-)

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
***Maybe we try for March?***

Since it seems as though some of us are looking for some warm(ish) weather wheeling and camping options, I'd like to put together a trip to the Mojave Road in California. Details:

- Leave town on Monday morning, ???, return Friday, ???, at some point in the evening. The trailhead is roughly 13 hours from the West side of the Metro Area, so we'll basically need two full days for travel to and from the desert.
- We'll plan on spending ??? through ??? wheeling the trail, taking in the sights, and camping wherever we can find spots (numerous dispersed camp sites are available).
- The trail looks relatively easy, with the exception of tons of washboard, and the infamous Soda Lake. If Soda Lake is too muddy, there is a bypass available, as I doubt anyone wants to get stuck there (especially considering the corrosive nature of the Soda Lake mud). Thus, I don't believe you'll need a fully built truck to wheel the trail. Stock rigs with good AT tires and decent ground clearance are welcome.
- Camping gear and extra gas storage will be a necessity, though it is possible to grab gas halfway through the trail if the need arises. I'd probably recommend four extra gallons, so we can avoid unnecessary pit stops.
- I'm going to limit the trip to six rigs, as seven or more will require a permit.
- Comm requirements are pretty basic. I've got CB, as well as five extra FRS handheld radios that work well for small groups.
- COVID protocols will be followed (social distancing, masks, etc.).

There's tons of info online about the Mojave Road, but the Trails Offroad site is a good start: https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/1043-mojave-road

Post up if you're interested!

Attendees:

1. @bassguyry (Ryland)
2. @gungriffin (Ryan)
3. @Inukshuk (Daniel)
4. @J1000 (Jimmy)
5. @Shuksan (Brian)

A few helpful links as we prepare for the trip:

https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

EDIT: Updated the dates to run the trip from Monday to Friday. Because wheeling and camping is fun.
https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/4-wheel-drive.htm

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Moday is MLK - maybe do the GJ class and then keep going!
Cima Divide - awesome Joshua trees (better than park)
Watch out for desert tortoise.
Wierd cool stuff in Cali desert.
A beach campsite I like 20 min outside searchlight, and a day drive from Denver: 35.45349443793945, -114.67927147125212 This time of year its likely empty.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Moday is MLK - maybe do the GJ class and then keep going!
Cima Divide - awesome Joshua trees (better than park)
Watch out for desert tortoise.
Wierd cool stuff in Cali desert.
A beach campsite I like 20 min outside searchlight, and a day drive from Denver: 35.45349443793945, -114.67927147125212 This time of year its likely empty.
I probably can’t make the GJ class (watching the kids for a full week would be a big ask for my wife ;)), but that would be awesome!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I am a tentative in. I have something due on the 19th, but I really shouldn't put it to the last minute. So if I get it done the Friday before and I get the ok from the decision maker I am in.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
And sweet 45 in those trail offroad pics

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I am looking forward to the trip!

Here is a great site for anyone who wants to learn more about the Mojave Road trail.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Darn, I have the book and trail map for the Mojave trail, always wanted to do it. Can't make this trip, maybe another time.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
This looks like a great trip! I can't make this run, but will add this to my "to do" list!

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That's my plan; doing Bill Burke's training in GJ then continuing west.
If that's the case, should we pivot and make the trip Monday-Thursday, instead of Tuesday-Friday?

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I figured I'd spend Monday driving to the trailhead or were you planning the group leaves Denver Tuesday?

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I figured I'd spend Monday driving to the trailhead or were you planning the group leaves Denver Tuesday?
I was planning on leaving Denver on Tuesday, but I'm flexible. Maybe we just do a Monday-Friday trip.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Sure! Monday works for me too! I just misread no need to re-plan just for me if you want to keep the original plan.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sure! Monday works for me too! I just misread no need to re-plan just for me if you want to keep the original plan.
I'd planned on taking the entire week off anyway. Let me check with my wife to ensure five days with the kids is only marginally worse than four days with the kids. ;)

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I will be available as well starting Monday. I was just planning to hang out in the GJ/Greenriver area until everyone passed through.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Since that monday is a holiday if I can go Tuesday then I can go Monday. Wouldn't mind splitting up the driving a bit.

I got approval from the wife, so its all on me to meet deadlines.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I will be available as well starting Monday. I was just planning to hang out in the GJ/Greenriver area until everyone passed through.
I'm going to just assume heading out Monday is good to go. (y)
Since that monday is a holiday if I can go Tuesday then I can go Monday. Wouldn't mind splitting up the driving a bit.

I got approval from the wife, so its all on me to meet deadlines.
Yeah, heading out Monday is a good plan. A buddy of mine that I knew from CO4x4RnR is heading out with us, so it'll probably be you, me and him leaving from Denver. We'll hash out details as it gets closer, but maybe we stop somewhere halfway and spend the night?

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I kinda sorta maybe want to hit the Barracks Trail on the way home. Or the way out. I don't care. :D

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I'm going to just assume heading out Monday is good to go. (y)

Yeah, heading out Monday is a good plan. A buddy of mine that I knew from CO4x4RnR is heading out with us, so it'll probably be you, me and him leaving from Denver. We'll hash out details as it gets closer, but maybe we stop somewhere halfway and spend the night?
So we are gonna have a land rover come and mess up this 100 series trip? Ha