The Mojave Road - Rescheduled for some point in 2021. :-)

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Alright, my dudes (@Inukshuk, @Shuksan, @gungriffin, @J1000) - lets start hammering out some details.

Logistics:
  • Let's meet at the T-Rex Lot off I-70 at 7:30AM on 2/15 (39.701376346057934, -105.20370987287554, or essential I-70 and Hwy 93)
  • From the T-Rex lot, it's roughly 11 hours to the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada, not including bathroom/fuel/food breaks.
  • We'll camp the first night at Valley of Fire, and then head to the Mojave Road trailhead (roughly 3 hours) the following morning.
    • If the Valley of Fire Campground doesn't have any vacancies, there's a Motel 6 about 30 minutes down the road, on the outskirts of Vegas. Or we can camp in a parking lot somewhere. :)
    • I already called and tried to reserve a "group" campsite at Valley of Fire, to no avail. But, they do have 72 total campsites, and this will be on the tail end of a holiday weekend, so I'm hopeful that we'll find something.
  • I plan to spend 2/16 and 2/17 wheeling the Mojave Road. After that, I'd like to head back towards St. George, UT and either wheel some trails over there, or maybe we even head to Moab and do some wheeling.
  • I know @J1000 is coming from Arizona, so I'll leave it up to him to either meet us at Valley of Fire or the Mojave Road trailhead. Same goes for @Inukshuk, as he'll be heading back from Baja/Taco Nirvana.
  • @gungriffin is a question mark, but that kind of goes without saying. ;)
Gear
  • I'll be bringing 8 gallons of extra fuel. Might be overkill, but you never know.
  • I'll also have four gallons of water between a few RotoPax, in addition to my standard drinking water supply.
  • Lastly, I'm packing my propane fire pit. It ain't huge, but it puts off a decent amount of heat, and most importantly, it's super easy to set up and tear down.
Looking forward to actually heading out on this trip, guys! Should be a blast!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I am currently walking a fine line to balance out my responsibilities at work, keeping the FAA happy, maintaining the sanity and graciousness of my wife, finding a way to deal with our two very different dogs, and spending some time with my grandma but so far it's looking good that I'll see you guys in 2 weeks! No promises though!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Very unlikely that after the return 2/14 I'll flip a U turn and head back out. I'm already promising work that week.....

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I am currently walking a fine line to balance out my responsibilities at work, keeping the FAA happy, maintaining the sanity and graciousness of my wife, finding a way to deal with our two very different dogs, and spending some time with my grandma but so far it's looking good that I'll see you guys in 2 weeks! No promises though!
No worries, Jimmy. If it doesn't work out, it's not a problem. Keep us posted, though!
Very unlikely that after the return 2/14 I'll flip a U turn and head back out. I'm already promising work that week.....
Understood, no problem! I was looking forward to getting the chance to wheel with you, but we'll definitely have many other opportunities!

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Ok I'm all good I got my project done here in Phoenix and next week is free! If you hear about someone delivering beer on a golf course via drone that was me :LOL: it's still undecided if I can meet you guys on Monday it's up to my wife to let me or require me to return home, out of my hands! Is the plan still on?

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ok I'm all good I got my project done here in Phoenix and next week is free! If you hear about someone delivering beer on a golf course via drone that was me :LOL: it's still undecided if I can meet you guys on Monday it's up to my wife to let me or require me to return home, out of my hands! Is the plan still on?
I'm still planning on it!

@gungriffin - did you manage to get your rig all fixed up?

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I had some family issues that I needed to focus on and so I am still working on things. I don't think that this trip is in the cards for my truck 😭

Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately my wife and kids and work need me home next week. Plus I had a little coolant leak pop up that I need to address.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I had some family issues that I needed to focus on and so I am still working on things. I don't think that this trip is in the cards for my truck 😭

Unfortunately my wife and kids and work need me home next week. Plus I had a little coolant leak pop up that I need to address.
No worries, gentlemen! Next time!

@J1000 - I’m in if you are!

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sounds like this just ain't gonna happen this month. :D

What's March look like for everyone?

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Dang. Sorry it didn’t come together. I am heading to the south swell area in March. I will make a post about it. Camping and some wheeling for us but also exploring with kids.

bassguyry

Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Dang. Sorry it didn’t come together. I am heading to the south swell area in March. I will make a post about it. Camping and some wheeling for us but also exploring with kids.
No worries, Brian. Now that the weather is improving and camping in Utah is a more real possibility, I'll probably look at doing Mojave later this year.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Just got home from Death Valley - vast and warm. Had a great night last night on the swell. Having the pop-up camper was great this time of year!! Ready to plan the next one!