The Mojave Road - RESCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO
So we are gonna have a land rover come and mess up this 100 series trip? Ha
Well, he is a good mechanic (don't you have to be to drive a Land Rover?), so... :ROFLMAO:
 

Jameson

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 6, 2018
Messages
292
Location
Arvada, CO
So we are gonna have a land rover come and mess up this 100 series trip? Ha

I'm guessing my 200 will further screw up your 100 series trip! I'm in need of a little sun... count me in.
 

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO
It's probably time to start nailing down some details:

- What do you guys think about breaking up the drive to/from Denver a bit (understanding that some of you will already be on the western slope)? Maybe stopping somewhere around Zion National Park or Dixie National Forest in Utah? There are some good trails in both, but will likely be cold for camping. I'm not opposed to stopping somewhere around Salina, UT and grabbing a hotel room for the night, either (on the way in, or the way out). We could also just make the haul all the way through to Mojave on our way out, but that would be one long ass day, and I don't think there's many options for camping at/near the trailhead.

- As for camping on the trail, I'm thinking Camp Phallus (lol) or Mojave Camp are probably our best bets, and will likely be fairly vacant during the week. Phallus is about 47 miles in, and Mojave Camp is roughly 68 miles in. We can spend the last night at Afton Canyon Campground, which is about 17 miles before the end of the trail.

- I've also been thinking about hitting the "Three Corners" trail north of Mesquite, on the way out or the way in.

- As for comms, it doesn't look like everyone has Ham, so I'm thinking we use my FRS radios. I've got enough for the entire group, unless anyone has other ideas (except CB, because CB sucks. ;)).

Thoughts on the above?
 
Last edited:

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2017
Messages
372
Location
Denver
I am still strongly leaning towards making this happen. Just work will make final decision.

1) I don't mind cold weather camping, but recognize I might be in the minority there. If people wanna haul 80% of the way there in one day we could try and get to valley of fire state park on Monday. It is a pretty cool state park not far off freeway and should be warm enough ~40 F lows right now. I am down for whatever though.

Also near valley of fire: https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/3974-logandale-main-loop-01

2) Yes CB sucks compared to the other HAM or GMRS
 

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO
I am still strongly leaning towards making this happen. Just work will make final decision.

1) I don't mind cold weather camping, but recognize I might be in the minority there. If people wanna haul 80% of the way there in one day we could try and get to valley of fire state park on Monday. It is a pretty cool state park not far off freeway and should be warm enough ~40 F lows right now. I am down for whatever though.

Also near valley of fire: https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/3974-logandale-main-loop-01

2) Yes CB sucks compared to the other HAM or GMRS
Hope you can make it, Brian!

I'm not opposed to cold weather camping either. I've got a lot of "natural" insulation, so... :)

I should clarify (and I've edited the above post) - I have a GMRS radio mounted in the truck, and five handheld FRS radios. They worked really well on the Black Bear Pass trip, and I've got USB cigarette chargers for each (though, they last about 12-14 hours through normal use).
 

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
5,291
Location
Denver, CO
Mesquite NV has $29 casino hotel rooms
If you camp at Stewart's Point by Valley of Fire I'd like to hear what it is like. (PS Hwy 169 looks like a good sideroad)
I can point you to a great beach camp 20 minutes East of Searchlight.
Woody & Heather are in Hurricaine if you know them and want to crash

Happy to lend you as many FRS/GMRS as you want (many handhelds and 2 mobile units)
 

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO
Mesquite NV has $29 casino hotel rooms
If you camp at Stewart's Point by Valley of Fire I'd like to hear what it is like. (PS Hwy 169 looks like a good sideroad)
I can point you to a great beach camp 20 minutes East of Searchlight.
Woody & Heather are in Hurricaine if you know them and want to crash

Happy to lend you as many FRS/GMRS as you want (many handhelds and 2 mobile units)
Thanks for the info, Daniel! I've got enough radios for the group, but if anyone wants to try out a mobile GMRS unit, by all means! I just installed a Midland MXT400 in the truck a few weeks ago, and have been super impressed.
 

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
5,291
Location
Denver, CO
Thanks for the info, Daniel! I've got enough radios for the group, but if anyone wants to try out a mobile GMRS unit, by all means! I just installed a Midland MXT400 in the truck a few weeks ago, and have been super impressed.
Yup - I have a MXT400 and an MXT275 for loan. Three different mag mount antennas too. I find the 400 needs to be plugged into a 12v outlet with more power than the cigarette lighter.
 

Jameson

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 6, 2018
Messages
292
Location
Arvada, CO
Welp.... good news is that some foreign countries are opening back up. The bad news for me is that I'm back on for a couple of deadlines. Going to have to back out of this trip. Something about staying employed. Hope someone can take my place!
 

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
5,291
Location
Denver, CO
I'm 87.5%. Largely because, why not!
I was 89.375% in before Jameson had to cancel.
 

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
5,291
Location
Denver, CO

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO
Welp.... good news is that some foreign countries are opening back up. The bad news for me is that I'm back on for a couple of deadlines. Going to have to back out of this trip. Something about staying employed. Hope someone can take my place!
That sucks, man. Sorry to hear, but I totally get it. Travel safe!

@DanielChase - @J1000 said you might be in for the trip. Interested in taking Jameson’s spot?
 

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2018
Messages
477
Location
Morrison, CO
Unfortunately, I'm out too. Work stuff came up that is going to interfere but I hope you guys have an amazing time out there!
 

Jameson

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 6, 2018
Messages
292
Location
Arvada, CO
I'm 87.5%. Largely because, why not!
I was 89.375% in before Jameson had to cancel.
Glad to hear it's not the opposite. Was looking forward to making the trip with you guys.
 

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO
Glad to hear it's not the opposite. Was looking forward to making the trip with you guys.
I mean, we're only talking a difference of 1.875%... ;)
 

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
5,291
Location
Denver, CO

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2017
Messages
372
Location
Denver
This pains me to write, but unfortunately due to a confluence of things I am not gonna be able to make it. Work is gonna be too tight with this deadline and our nanny tore her ACL so I just can't leave my wife with the kiddos for a whole week. I have been daydreaming about this trip for awhile now, so quite bummed. Sorry
 

bassguyry

RS Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Cruise Moab Committee
Joined
Jun 14, 2018
Messages
636
Location
Arvada, CO
This pains me to write, but unfortunately due to a confluence of things I am not gonna be able to make it. Work is gonna be too tight with this deadline and our nanny tore her ACL so I just can't leave my wife with the kiddos for a whole week. I have been daydreaming about this trip for awhile now, so quite bummed. Sorry
Aw, man! That sucks! 100% understandable though. I'm sure we'll probably get another trip out to Mojave later this year, so we'll get you on that one!
 
Top