The HAM thread....

acon40

Banned
So I wanted to start a on topic post about HAM radios vs the cb's. My question is that I know ZERO about hame radios other then the old guys driving the vans and 2000 antenna's up top. Being that in the high country the lack of emergency service's in the proper range of a cb is slim, the ham is starting to look perfect.

What do the units look like?
What are the mounting options?
Does it have emrgency specific channels?

Like I said....I know ZERO about them and would love to be school....(be nice haha):beer: :hill:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
What do the units look like?
Like CB's, but cooler
What are the mounting options?
Limitless. particularly because many have detachable face plates. So you mount the main unit to the center console, under the seat, in back, etc. then the controls are mounted more conveniently to your dash, console, overhead, etc.
Does it have emrgency specific channels?
In an emergency, you're allowed to use absolutely every channel available to you, within the means of your equipment. There are several weather channels, but I don't think there's a universal "channel 9" like on CB. Mainly because of differences of coverage areas, etc., the better approach is to reach someone close to you, which is best done through a local repeater.

A repeater is like a gateway (big network hub) for Ham radio, receives well then re-transmits to a greater area with higher power. Using a single repeater we chat all across Denver metro on Monday nights, most just using little hand helds (HT's). With no repeaters (radio to radio, aka simplex, I've talked to guys as far north as Boulder and as far south as Parker & Highlands Ranch from on top of a hill near my house in Broomfield. From my driveway, simplex is just as good as the repeater when speaking Groucho in Arvada.

With linked repeaters, we can chat from here to Grand Junction (via Colorado Repeater Connection). Throw the internet in there (IRLP), and you can conceivably link the world.

edit: there are several install pics, including mine, in this thread: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=146532

edit2: and my comments above mainly pertain to the 2 meter band, which is the most common, easiest to be licensed for range of Ham radio. there are several others.. and when you study to pass the test you'll learn about all of them, but if what you're looking for is a "better CB" then all you need to worry about is 2m. I've had a quad band radio for almost a year and I've still only used 2m...

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Does it have emergency specific channels?

Common practice, when traveling in the back country, is to tune to 146.25 at the top of every hour and monitor for 10 min in case anyone NOT within repeater range needs assistance. If you are the person in trouble you 1st transmit a LiTZ (Long Tone Zero) by holding down the "0" key on the radio's touch tone pad for 3 sec, then announce your call sign and nature of the emergency.

If you are with in repeater range and have an emergency you do the same thing at ANY time, send a Litz followed by your call sign and brief statement of the situation. Kind of like sending a SOS. The Ham radio community is always there to help out.

On a few of the repeaters in CO if you send a Litz it will activate a link directly to the Co State Patrol.

Last edited:

acon40

Banned
Thanks so much guys. Nakman, where can I find the setup you have. I like that....nice and clean.....and where do I take the test...I take it you can only buy it if you have the right paperwork? Good online shops?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
And why do people run both ham and cb if ham does it better?

The ONLY reason is so they can still communicate with guys who only have CB.

Best place to see my setup is look in my truck.. :) I'll bring it to the meeting on Wednesday if you're there. If you want to come over on Monday night for a :beer: send me a PM, you can see it in action.

Go to www.qrz.com then down on the left select practice tests, then select Technician, then start test. Do it now.. let us know in 5 minutes what you got.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Guys what did it cost to get into the HAM stuff? Test and equipment? Just looking for a ballpark.

Cool stuff, Nak, great link to mud.

Drew

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Guys what did it cost to get into the HAM stuff? Test and equipment? Just looking for a ballpark.

Cool stuff, Nak, great link to mud.

Drew

Got the study guide as a hand-me-down = Free

Test = $14

1st radio was a Yeasu VX-170 2 meter hand held, I printed a coupon off of Yeasu's web site AND HRO had them on sale. Ended up being about the same price I paid for a Uniden CB, peak & tweaking and having the SO-239 replaced with a coax pig tail a-la Slee's tech write up = $80-90

Bargain Bin Antenna = $20.

Being able to talk all over the world w/ 5watts = Priceless

Last edited: