The Gulches: 2/11/21

ranno

Rock Stacker
Good morning all: I realize this is mid-week and late notice; just wanted to see if there is anyone interested in heading down to the gulches (Illinois / Missouri) this week? If too late of notice, potentially sometime next Monday - Thursday? Was thinking of a long day trip..

I am new to the club; just joined yesterday. I live in Arvada with a 21' Tacoma.

Cheers!

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I totally would, but the plow is on the cruiser for the season.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Hey Nick I just saw this post. Glad you jumped on here! There is a thread about driving skills I was just reading through. I think you and I should join if we can.

ranno

Rock Stacker
He Scott. Sounds great. I am still learning how to use this site. Can you send a link?

ranno

Rock Stacker
I totally would, but the plow is on the cruiser for the season.
No problem! By the way, can you recommend any good winter trails within an hour or two of the front range? Are the gulches / that area worth exploring this time of year? Thank you!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I like to use Trailsoffroad.com to see whats around. The free section doesn't allow access to a fair portion of the roads and trails but can show you what's around. There is a fair amount of information on the free section though.
There are many gulches and some will be closed this time of year. I would suggest places without shelf roads during the snowy months. I would also go with at least another truck when there is snow. It's nice to have someone to help get unstuck or drive you out when your totally stuck!
Planned runs will be under the events section located here:
There has been a discussion about a driving skills day and the noobs run will be forthcoming in late spring I believe. You can also see planned events under the calendar tab and view them per month. Welcome to the forum! If your using the app for amdroid, all sections can be accessed through the 3 bars located at the top right of the screen

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
No problem! By the way, can you recommend any good winter trails within an hour or two of the front range? Are the gulches / that area worth exploring this time of year? Thank you!

Check out China Wall. It's a really easy trail for the most part, with a few little rock sections. It's the trail I use to introduce people to wheeling, as it is not completely boring, but is easy enough that anyone can drive it with a little guidance. I've gotten a stock ram 2500 long bed though there for funsies at one point. There is also some stuff up on Rampart Range and Gold Camp road.