• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

The "Grill -n- Chill" Run

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Looking at the pdf list on the first post (to me it looks like) it was last updated July 21st, 2020. @On the RX, if that helps?? From my perspective (on the Flat Tops run and also requesting to be included on the Swell run) the list looks accurate. Granted, I haven't kept track of the other runs since I can't/won't/haven't attend(ed) those.

So yeah, I'd also like to check-in about the Swell run. Please do count me in but if we need to have a limit on it and considering how amazing the Flat Tops run was, I'd like to volunteer my Swell run spot to someone who hasn't had a chance and would like to go. I don't mean to over indulge and want to offer my spot as a kind gesture just in case the run needs to have a limit.

Among many other reasons, yesterday a hunting/fishing club I'm part of was forced to close its primary gathering/events location due to 'RONA. If things continue the way they've been trending I want to help however I can. Including helping others get out into nature who haven't had a chance.

thanks and sorry if this has kind of a somber tone (it's been a long day),
Allen

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
if you're schedule is up to date, you have room on the norco run. i'd like to join up.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
POST #1 updated a bunch.

Do you have an updated list for the swell run? I'm not sure if the link on the first post gets updated.
Did one just now.

Looking at the pdf list on the first post (to me it looks like) it was last updated July 21st, 2020. @On the RX, if that helps?? From my perspective (on the Flat Tops run and also requesting to be included on the Swell run) the list looks accurate. Granted, I haven't kept track of the other runs since I can't/won't/haven't attend(ed) those.
So yeah, I'd also like to check-in about the Swell run. Please do count me in but if we need to have a limit on it and considering how amazing the Flat Tops run was, I'd like to volunteer my Swell run spot to someone who hasn't had a chance and would like to go. I don't mean to over indulge and want to offer my spot as a kind gesture just in case the run needs to have a limit.
Among many other reasons, yesterday a hunting/fishing club I'm part of was forced to close its primary gathering/events location due to 'RONA. If things continue the way they've been trending I want to help however I can. Including helping others get out into nature who haven't had a chance.
thanks and sorry if this has kind of a somber tone (it's been a long day),
Allen
Stay on the list. The Swell is a big place, trails are mostly wide open, we'll have plenty of powerful radios to keep a stretched out group together! Its important to have things to look forward to.

Please add me to the list for run #2!
Sweet, done.

if you're schedule is up to date, you have room on the norco run. i'd like to join up.
Sweet, done.

Last edited:

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Daniel! I'll definitely stay.

On the radio point.... I'm working on making my setup better. #1 mounted antenna, then #2 more capable transceiver or better power for my HT (12v input or larger battery). Still doing research & pondering, but will have it figured by September.

Allen

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Can I sign up for the Swell?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I just spent 2 hours going over the route for #2 and shared it with co-host @DomOfTheDead for review. I use a combination of OnX, Gaia, Google Earth, USFS maps (forest and MVUM), and National Geographic paper maps to get a feel for an area I don't know. Picking possible campsites by satellite imagry is always fun. I think we are going to have a blast and can call lthis Grill, Chill & Thrill! Dom and I will start teh group conversation in a few days.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Do I need to bring extra gas for the upcoming run? I get 10MPG usually with 24 gallons

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Do I need to bring extra gas for the upcoming run? I get 10MPG usually with 24 gallons

I calculate 50 miles of dirt. We get on at the Kelley Flats trailhead and off at top of Cameron pass so add in the pavement miles. Probably don't need extra - way home is downhill! LOL

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I just spent 2 hours going over the route for #2 and shared it with co-host @DomOfTheDead for review. I use a combination of OnX, Gaia, Google Earth, USFS maps (forest and MVUM), and National Geographic paper maps to get a feel for an area I don't know. Picking possible campsites by satellite imagry is always fun. I think we are going to have a blast and can call lthis Grill, Chill & Thrill! Dom and I will start teh group conversation in a few days.

Don't want to derail the thread, but would you say you prefer OnX or Gaia Daniel? I have been using Gaia for about 3 years and like it a lot, but I recently tried out OnX and was really impressed. Last summer I met a friend of a friend who works for OnX in Missoula where their HQ is, and he really likes the company. I need to use it more to compare, and I'm curious if you think it's as "good" as Gaia.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Don't want to derail the thread, but would you say you prefer OnX or Gaia Daniel? I have been using Gaia for about 3 years and like it a lot, but I recently tried out OnX and was really impressed. Last summer I met a friend of a friend who works for OnX in Missoula where their HQ is, and he really likes the company. I need to use it more to compare, and I'm curious if you think it's as "good" as Gaia.

Different end user objectives. Your friend should know Chris Cordes, trail guide coordinator.
Better we Off the rails have a different thread and dive deep!

brian9W

Brand New
Liability waiver is required. Copy attached. If you have questions, ask me. Summary: If something happens I don't want to be the target of your insurance company

Well, nobody wants to get problems and negative issues with any insurance companies. But honestly, it also depends on a certain insurance company, how would they react on something, and would they help after an accident, or they wouldn't. I prefer a reliable agency called General ( https://www.general.com/ ), cause they can provide the most customer-friendly service in comparison with all other agencies.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately our friend has just announced she is having a going away party Saturday August 14th for her going to PA school in Nashville. I really hate to bail, but I am not going to be able to make the Northern CO trip. Still in for the swell.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately our friend has just announced she is having a going away party Saturday August 14th for her going to PA school in Nashville. I really hate to bail, but I am not going to be able to make the Northern CO trip. Still in for the swell.
Bummer but understandable! Thanks for the head up.

I'll start the trip group conversation tomorrow. Just finished fixing the AHC on Anna's 2004 GX470!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Kelly Quadruple (it was three trails, but now 4 trails: Kelly flats, Seven mile, Bald mountain, Green ridge road) Trail Run G&C conversation started. We have an available space if anyone wants to get away!

coloradoadams

Wincher
I am really wanting to go on the Swell run and I’m curious if kids are allowed? If so, is anyone else is bringing their kids with them? My 9 year old daughter is the most adventurous of my 3 kids and she is begging me to take her. 3 days of wheeling can be a lot for a 9 yr old, just wondering if there will be some other kids there that she can “grill and chill” with.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I am really wanting to go on the Swell run and I’m curious if kids are allowed? If so, is anyone else is bringing their kids with them? My 9 year old daughter is the most adventurous of my 3 kids and she is begging me to take her. 3 days of wheeling can be a lot for a 9 yr old, just wondering if there will be some other kids there that she can “grill and chill” with.

Definitely allowed and welcomed. Offhand I'm not sure about other kids going. Lets see who posts up!