The digital SLR camera thread

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
The more I read, the more I learn. This is the lens that I am thinking about buying now:

Nikon AF-S 16-85mm DX Zoom Nikkor f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

Good review of it here.

It sounds like it is a sharper, higher quality lens than the 18-200.

very nice lens (I kinda want that). and that is a true statement. it's got a little more 'ummph' than some kit lenses that are usually 18-55 (ish). so you get slightly wider angle(16mm vs. 18), slightly more zoom(85mm vs. 55).

OH!! Beware of N.A.S.!

(Nikon Acquisition Syndrome)

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
Matt

Buy good glass. Buy good glass. Buy fast glass. Buy fast glass.

I have been shooting for about 30 some odd years now. Good glass is everything. I started on my fathers Pentax and then got a Canon A-1 for graduation. After that I went to Nikon. First an FM then an FM2 then an N-90. Then I also got an Olympus 5060 for point and shoot digital. My first foray into the dark side of photrography. I just bought the new Nikon D-90 last fall. Nice.

So may buttons so little time. And this my friends is the problem with digital. For most people they say " we'll fix it in photoshop".

Learn how to shoot with good photographic discipline. When my friends look at my digital photography they say they don't have to do hardly anything with these. I learned how to shoot with film. I have read years of magazines, read many books and listened to many lectures of the big pros. I mean the big pros. I have whittled all this down to the stuff that make sense to use as reference for other people.

Don't waste your time on fixed focal length lenses unless they are a steel. All my lenses except for two are f2.8 lenses. Most are zooms. No three. My big lense is a 500f4P. That is not an f2.8 aperture.

Learn to shoot.

Remember the only thing the sensor (film) sees is the glass. The rest keeps the dust out and stays dark inside.

Maybe another class for the club. That would be fun. I've done that for the scouts before.

Greg
________
Handjob ****

Last edited:

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
Matt Bring your D200 body to the meeting tonight. I'll bring my lense bag and you can play with what is in there. Lots of choices in my camera bag.

Greg
________
How to roll blunts

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
The more I read, the more I learn. This is the lens that I am thinking about buying now:

Nikon AF-S 16-85mm DX Zoom Nikkor f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

Good review of it here.

It sounds like it is a sharper, higher quality lens than the 18-200.

I guess it depends on what you want to shoot and how you use it. I'm not into it enough to want to carry several lenses and change them out all the time. it's hard to beat the 18-200 for a 1 all around lens. I want the quality of a good slr for family pics but i'm not into it as a hobby.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I guess it depends on what you want to shoot and how you use it. I'm not into it enough to want to carry several lenses and change them out all the time. it's hard to beat the 18-200 for a 1 all around lens. I want the quality of a good slr for family pics but i'm not into it as a hobby.

Wes, do you have the 18-200 lens? If you do, would you mind bringing it tonight? Or maybe I could hook up with you locally to check it out.

I have the D200 with me. The battery is charged, and I have an old, slow 512MB CF card.

Cheeseman

Rising Sun Member
I've been shooting with zoom lenses for years. Quality is not an issue anymore. Most of my zooms are f2.8. very good fast glass. Eyesight causes you to autofocus anymore.

I have another camera bag with all my fixed focal length lenses. Don't use them anymore.

Matt I'll have the 18-105 with me. Among other lenses. You can play with that also.

Wes, you're right in choosing what you want to shoot. I've always thought that one should try to determine that before they buy.

Greg
________
Big tits tubes

Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Hard to tell if this self portrait is funny because of the lens curve or the left side subject...

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one....;)

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
18-200 is the best lens ever (unless you let Moab dust get it)

The Fuji S3 Pro I have is too big to carry around but an awesome camera.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Do Fuji cameras use Nikon lenses?

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
I like the 18-200 simply because I don't want to miss anything. Last year I was hiking in Wyoming and knew I'd want something wide and almost put the kit lens on but was LAZY. But 5 minutes into the hike I come around a corner and there are three big, beautiful moose. I was really glad I had the long lens. Conversely, two years ago above Lake Isabelle I came around a bend, thought I heard a horse whinny and stopped to look and it was a BEAR sleeping 6' from the trail. Well I hustled up the trail and up a ledge and positioned to take a shot with my kit lens (17-55). Not real impressive pictures compared to what I would have gotten with the 18-200. The rest of the day you're shooting really wide.

Honestly, if you're doing nature shots early or late (the best times), you're gonna want one of those fast 50s.

But that is the argument, get good glass and you'll have it with whatever you're shooting in 2015.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
How did you tell? Did you pull the pictures onto a computer and magnify the image to check sharpness?

Dave said it all :thumb:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+

I got an 180299 from Sigma for my walking around lens. It is compact when locked but a little big at full zoom. I like it, it is not the best lens in my stable but for the normal vacation it works just fine. If it breaks or gets sand in it I can live with that. I think I paid a little over $200 for it and so far it has produced great pictures well enough to blow up to 11x14.

If you notice the pros that shoot either Canon or Nikon you will see they shoot 2.8 zooms for the most part. They may carry one fixed lens, 1.8 or 1.4, for the dark up close stuff. The sport and portrait guys who shoot Canon swear by there 80-200 IS 2.8. It can be used for close ups and a shot down the field, The lens costs about $1400 but is the best Canon offers in that range.

I suggest playing with as many lenses you can get your hands on and then find a nice walk around lens for your first one. After that you can start to look for specialty lenses or just broaden your lens addiction. Also remember you can get teleconverters, 1.4 or 2.0, to increase focal length. They do bump you up a few stops, 2.8 to 4.? or so.