• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Thanksging Run-Chinaman's Gulch Fri. the 25th

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
New date-Thanksgiving Run-Chinaman's Gulch Sat. the 26th

Date: Moved from Fri. to Sat. Nov. 26th
Where: Chinaman's Gulch
Meet: Gunsmoke Truckstop on hwy. 285 in Johnson Village
Time: Meet at 9:30am - Leave at 10am
Difficulty: Moderate to difficult depending on bypasses

We will air down at the Gunsmoke truckstop. The trailhead is within viewing distance (about 1 mile away). This trail requires driver experience and body armor (except for FJ40's I suppose, but then again I have never seen a 40 run this trail). Sliders are highly recommended. This is not a trail for a stocker.

This trail is about 2 hrs' from Denver, so be prepared to leave early. This trail is not really long, but has a lot of optional obstacles that will give most anyone a challenge. I just called the Gunsmoke and they are clear of snow, with less that an inch in the foothills nearby where we will be.

This is one of my favorite trails. So far we have Spiderlegs (who I think is Neal O'Malley), Bobzooki and Randy Spencer from my work who has a newly built 80 with Slee armor and the big lift (he hasn't had a change to flex it out yet). V8 Al will probably be there also.

Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Helpin a brutha out...

Correction:
Date is Nov. 25th Friday 2005.

Thursday might be a low turnout due to turkey-lurkey :)

Nathaniel.

PS--I may be there.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for catching that. I fixed it. Hope to see you there.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
I wish I could come, but I am heading for the seattle area to spend the holiday's with my mom, dad(and his wife), both brothers and their familys. It will be different and fun to see all them over the holidays. All you guys have safe and fun hoiliday. Enjoy the turkey feast. later robbie

Spiderlegs

Wincher
powderpig said:
I wish I could come, but I am heading for the seattle area to spend the holiday's with my mom, dad(and his wife), both brothers and their familys. It will be different and fun to see all them over the holidays. All you guys have safe and fun hoiliday. Enjoy the turkey feast. later robbie

I thought my wifes Birthday was on Saturday until I rechecked the calendar. It is Friday. I really want to do Chinaman's but this trip will have to wait unless Al and Yodder would consider Saturday instead. I know it's a stretch but I'll put it out there.

Neil O'Malley

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I won't be making it, but I do remember a wonderful DATD run we did on Hackett gulch in 2001. That was the last time we ran that trail before the Hayman fire. I had a huge blowout and got a bent rim making it up Hacket rock in the snow and ice. Christo had a bunch of his 80 buddies along, and a bunch of CLC folks made it for the trip. Leader Rob Merideth broke his rear spring hanger (and welded it up), and then got stuck in the middle of the South Platte when he was worried that his fan blade may have gone through his radiator. Turned out he was fine.

Attachments

• 2002112304100.jpg
    2002112304100.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 291
  • 2002112308100.jpg
    2002112308100.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 286

wesintl

RS Moderator
I gotta take the wife to the aeroport, I need some more armor on the BJ anyway.

That said if anyone wants to get together, STS, adjust valves or generally look at a leaky fj40 I'm in. :D

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Spiderlegs said:
I thought my wifes Birthday was on Saturday until I rechecked the calendar. It is Friday. I really want to do Chinaman's but this trip will have to wait unless Al and Yodder would consider Saturday instead. I know it's a stretch but I'll put it out there.

Neil O'Malley

Neil, It's probably too close to the date to move it. Buit, I will talk to some of the confiired guys on Monday and consider switching to Sat. Would sure love to see you and your large 40 take Chinamans.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
If it was Saturday I should be able to make it!!!

Can't Friday. We are going down to the Springs for turkey day, and I doubt we will be getting back at a decent hour.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Ok, look for this to be officially changed to Sat. More to come tonight. Hopfully that won't put out any inital people who were planning on Fri.

Gotta have Red Chili and Spiderlegs join us.

FJBen

Would love to go...but...thats our 5 year anniversary...might not worka so well...

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Rzeppa said:
I won't be making it, but I do remember a wonderful DATD run we did on Hackett gulch in 2001. That was the last time we ran that trail before the Hayman fire. I had a huge blowout and got a bent rim making it up Hacket rock in the snow and ice. Christo had a bunch of his 80 buddies along, and a bunch of CLC folks made it for the trip. Leader Rob Merideth broke his rear spring hanger (and welded it up), and then got stuck in the middle of the South Platte when he was worried that his fan blade may have gone through his radiator. Turned out he was fine.

Nice pic Jeff!

I love the shot of Rob in the S. Platte shot over the hood of a 40...

I will not be able to make this run :(

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
If it was Saturday I should be able to make it!!!

Can't Friday. We are going down to the Springs for turkey day, and I doubt we will be getting back at a decent hour.

The Chili is at Father Mike's Parish of Our Lady of the Perpetual Rocks getting a crossover pipe repaired and exhaust flex installed (to prevent reoccurrence of the former). If it's done, and if my lovely bride does not object, I will try really hard to make this one.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Ok, I changed the date to Sat. so lets make it happen Chili! Get er done!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm bummed because I have really been wanting to do this trail. But I will be in Missouri for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Rats.

I have company coming in town, but they may want to do some climbing on Satrday which means I wouldnt have to entertain. Ive have been wanting to try out this trail for a long time. Let you know later in the week.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Bobzooki said:
OK, I have checked with Senior Management, and Saturday is a "go".

You checked with ROMER!?! :eek:

:D :p