• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Tauler Jack

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Anybody ever seen this before?

Thoughts? I'm indifferent although it does seem like a neat concept. Seems to be just as stable as a Hi-lift but a bit less complicated to operate.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
Never seen that before. Clever idea.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This guy is well known in the Willys flat fender community. He also builds brackets that make it easy to convert to disc brakes on flatties.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had the kit for a couple months but haven’t taken the time to build it yet. He also has a Cruiser and shows up to our monthly dinner meetings on occasion. I played around with one of jacks. Not as versitle as a hi-lift but a better jack and much more compact. His website link below.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Huh. I still don't get the appeal here. Other than the standard of a hi lift not smacking into your door or fender, what's the benefit? Also when you run out of travel, is there a way you can re-pin it and reset? Or do you need to fashion a jack stand of some sort to rest the truck on midway? I also don't see when I'd actually use this- the bottle jack under the axle is still preferred for changing tires as it's faster & safer, I keep a hi lift for the potential to pitch the truck sideways from the receiver hitch, or that odd side winching scenario.. which doesn't seem possible with the Tauler setup. I can't see that I would ever use this, what a I missing?

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Yes, you can re-pin it and it lifts higher. Watch the last few minutes of this video:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQd2h1eTko

I feel like it can do everything a hi-lift does, with the exception of acting like a winch, in a compact package that is easier to work.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yes, you can re-pin it and it lifts higher. Watch the last few minutes of this video:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPQd2h1eTko

I feel like it can do everything a hi-lift does, with the exception of acting like a winch, in a compact package that is easier to work.

I see him use the pin to set the initial height, but I don't see him running out of travel on the jack, then moving the pin to a higher setting to continue the lift. that's what I was asking, which doesn't seem possible.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Oh gotcha. I guess I looked at it wrong.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I see him use the pin to set the initial height, but I don't see him running out of travel on the jack, then moving the pin to a higher setting to continue the lift. that's what I was asking, which doesn't seem possible.
Can’t do that.

It’s more compact which is a big plus. My awning hits the top of my hi-lift. Every time I need my hi-lift I’m searching for a can of WD-40 to get the pins to move. And the handle won’t club you in the head. I’m looking forward to building mine and making the change. But I’m am a little worried about the lift travel and actually getting a tire off the ground.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It seems like a handy tool but I'd be weary of calling it a 1-to-1 replacement for a Hi-Lift. One reason is there's nothing AFAIK that prevents a trailer jack handle from spinning backwards under load, so consider if someone bumps it and it starts spinning will it stop? A Hi-Lift jams the climbing mechanism so it can't move up or down if the handle is locked up against the bar. I wonder what the people at Curt think when they see someone using their jacks this way. I gotta think their lawyers have a canned response at the ready.