Taking a trip to Moab

80Series

Lifted
Hello everyone. I will be taking a trip to Moab March 23-29. If anyone has suggestions on trails or where to go that would be great.
Also if anyone has a trailer for sale or I could use for the trip (will pay something for use) it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
What is your vehicle? How is it built? What do you want to do? Will you be alone, or with someone? Do you plan to camp out, or motel it? How long will you be there? What is your budget?

Then answers will determine any suggestions, Moab is a big place. Charles Wells' books are a good place to start, as are the Latitude 40 Moab East and Moab West maps.

80Series

Lifted
I have a 97 FJ80, I am pretty stock but my 2 buddies are lifted big both run 35's and are locked. One has a '85 4runner and the other a jeep. We want to do some good trails, even ones without my truck because the other 2 are not bad. We will be there the entire week starting the sunday after Easter Jeep Safari. And we will staying at some cabins 2 miles south of Moab. I just purchased that book and was looking through it and just seeing if anyone has suggestions. Thanks

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I have a 97 FJ80, I am pretty stock but my 2 buddies are lifted big both run 35's and are locked. One has a '85 4runner and the other a jeep. We want to do some good trails, even ones without my truck because the other 2 are not bad. We will be there the entire week starting the sunday after Easter Jeep Safari. And we will staying at some cabins 2 miles south of Moab. I just purchased that book and was looking through it and just seeing if anyone has suggestions. Thanks

Nice start! The most important thing is decide how you ultimately want your truck set up! Do you have factory lockers? 35's will require a minimum 3"+ lift. 3" lift is also where the stock caster angle starts to get compromised and some type of caster correction is recommended. Basically, if you want to save money a mild lift and 33"+ tires is pretty easy. 35" tires start you on an expensive and slippery slope! Bigger than 35's and you better have some disposable income!

Sheet metal on these beasts is costly and most folks agree that the first wise mod is real sliders (not nerf bars!). The 80 is a great and extremely capable vehicle out of the showroom and to take it up 1 level can be done fairly cheap! Take it up more levels and the cost goes up exponentially!

Your on the right track by asking questions!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
...We want to do some good trails, even ones without my truck because the other 2 are not bad. ...
Well, 'good' is in the eye of the beholder. My wife thinks Kane Creek is good, because it is pretty, and the shelf road does not have much exposure. I like that too, because of all the sandy water play at the bottom. She likes Gemini Bridges, but I find that a bit of a snoozer. I like Buttscratcher on Gold Bar Rim, she doesn't.

I think Cliffhanger is good because it has some harder sections, but not too much exposure. Going out is sometimes harder than coming in, so be prepared. My wife prefers to walk it - she does not care for the parts I like. We both love Elephant Hill, but that is a commitment and the trail is not very hard. Just incredibly scenic. Long drive though.

We both really like Poison Spider Mesa. Just enough challenge, not much exposure (except on some optional routes).

Some feel Behind the Rocks is good. I don't. Glad I did it once, that first obstacle I shall never do again.

Some like Moab Rim, others find it a shorts filler. I don't seem to be intimidated by it, curiously. I like parts of Hells Revenge, but the one tippy obstacle on the way out is no fun for me. Some like Hells Gate, but I ain't a gonna do it ever.

See what I mean?

Name some trails around here that you like, and your experience level, and we could maybe make some good suggestions.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Bill has pointed you in the right direction, it all depends on what you consider "good"

One trail that I know a stock Cruiser can do is Fins N Things, friend ran it with us last May. Fun stuff, scenic and enough of a challenge that your buddies won't be bored. Good luck and have fun, I'll be there a few weeks after having fun.

Last edited:
The 23rd is going to still be pretty packed as that is Easter and the Easter Jeep Safari folks will be there. If it was me, I'd stay out of town that day and go see scenic things rather than try to get on the trail. Go do Arches or Canyonlands.

80Series

Lifted
That sunday we aren't really going to be doing a whole lot because that is the day we are arriving and will just be getting to the cabin and having dinner. the next day (Monday) will either be the first day we hit the trails or go to Arches National Park. We were lucky to get a cabin too because a couple places we called were still full but we were able to find one that we could stay at.

Hey I'm gonna be there that week, where you stayin?

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I was planning on going out that weekend but forgot about the Easter Heep idiots. Guess I'm going somewhere else. Have fun. I recomend. Fins, Hells(only if it's not your 1st time off pavement), Cliff hanger, Onion creek, Top of the world, Hurrah pass. Most are scenic drives rather than hard core. You're stock 97 will make it on Golden spike if locked, but you'll probbably crap you pants.

I'm probably going down the 26th or 27th-30th. I'm not wheeling though. I'm going to vegetate and soak up the sun and the red rock scenery. We might do Elephant Hill or Fins and Things but nothing more. Ginger will be too pregnant to do much more than that.

80Series

Lifted
ok cool. Ya we re going wheeling most of the time and maybe a day or two we will chill and go to arches national park or something. If you want to meet up and go just let us know.

80Series

Lifted
ok all i am in Moab now and if anyone wants to meet up my number is 303-908-7528. we Are staying at Moab Rim