Tailpipe...out back or to the side?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I need to get the exhaust re-done on the 60...question is should have the tailpipe routed out the back like stock or to the side? I'm leaning toward the side , any reason not to or reasons why this is the best way?

thanks!

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
If you don't wheel your 60 much, just keep it stock. I just replaced everything beyond the Cat with OEM parts on my 60 and it was under $150 and I was able to do it myself in less than an hour.. :thumb:

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Exit at the side is better to prevent off road damage but promotes rust due to the warm corrosive gases flowing near the quarter panel. If you do a side exit, don't put it right next to the body.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Exit at the side is better to prevent off road damage but promotes rust due to the warm corrosive gases flowing near the quarter panel. If you do a side exit, don't put it right next to the body.

I totally agree with Bruce! 60's are major tail draggers and will smash rear exits faster than you can fix them! Exit out and down behind the rear wheel. Check out the raffle truck exhaust! :thumb:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I agree with out the side, I kinked the stock exhaust on my FJ60 really bad and had to cut it off above the rear axle from not making and obstacle wheeling and having to back down an enbankment. It kinked so bad the truck would barely run lol.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I also forgot to mention - after I tore up the stock 80 exhaust on Poughkeepsie Gulch I also had that routed out the side.