• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Tablet window mounts

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
I've been looking at mounts to set up the iPad when driving. What mounts have you guys used and had success with? Looking at the Ram mount products just a lot to pick through.

Thanks in advance!

Since threads are boring without a pic:

17.jpg

:beer::beer:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Perry I used a soft case and a piece of Velcro for this. I don't like a bunch of junk on the dash all the time, so for the few times I want a tablet this solution has worked really well. The case sticks to the dash above the radio, then the ipad flips down in front of it. If I need to use the display I just lift the ipad out of the way, otherwise the map is right where it should be. Then after the trip I take the velcro off.

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My glass mount ram stuff is really good but it still falls off from time to time so I prefer my RAMs hard mounted.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have the RAM Mount Ball mount in both the 200 and the 40. I wouldnt feel comfortable with a window mount

They have mounts you can bolt to the seat bolts in the floor with a bar to mount to, a bit wobbly. I secured mine to the dash and that has worked for me

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I use a RAM seat wedge, holder, and socket that is universal and works in just about every vehicle. It is very stable, but it can be a little annoying for a front seat passenger. I am often solo, so it doesn't bother me at all. Here is the list of what I ordered and a pic of it "installed".

ACtC-3d4Nl4o3857EF3TLZPajI3ZQiktGb5o5XN2ZrsnvhhS7N-F1yNrwaedLOE2RjwdGpG9c2HbmcixVIfKQQuwc5z2eMo2Ijanpn7GJ1jjNuk2lcKoE6UCm13mGWFGLoAsgZIF1aOhhu9_STSuTATJmBsoKQ=w1406-h937-no

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I tried a number of suction cup/window mounts to no avail. They didn't really work well for my phone, so I doubt they'd be terribly effective for a tablet.

I wound up mounting one of the Ram Tough-Track systems on the dash in my 100:

RAP-TRACK-A16U.jpg

I have three Ram ball mounts mounted on the Tough-Track - one for my iPhone, another for my iPad mini, and the last for my Garmin inReach. I still need to figure out a better way to attach the Tough-Track to the dash, as the screws I used basically just screw in to the "soft" part of the dash and aren't terribly secure. That said, the iPad mini basically sits on the dash when mounted, so it supports the weight of the iPhone and Garmin.

I'll take some pictures of everything when I get home tonight.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
here are 3 pictures of what I have done with RAM mounts. The first is bolted through the dash trim. The second is a extended one bolted to the seat mounts and then the ball mount in my 40. I still use my tablet in the 40

The 2nd picture also shows the Tesla Android head unit I replaced my stock radio with. Since its an Android, I run my Topo stuff off of that and removed the seat mount. I use the ball mount for my HAM Radio

My current setup is the last picture

DSC00916.JPG
DSC03843.JPG
DSC00248.JPG
IMG_0403.jpg

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Check out RAM mounts.com and build your own.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Thanks all for the input so far.

here are 3 pictures of what I have done with RAM mounts. The first is bolted through the dash trim. The second is a extended one bolted to the seat mounts and then the ball mount in my 40. I still use my tablet in the 40

The 2nd picture also shows the Tesla Android head unit I replaced my stock radio with. Since its an Android, I run my Topo stuff off of that and removed the seat mount. I use the ball mount for my HAM Radio

My current setup is the last picture

View attachment 89838View attachment 89839View attachment 89840View attachment 89841

Really like the simplicity of this. Thanks for sharing Ken.

:beer::beer: