Swell overnight run trailer friendly?

Pipewhiner

New-ish
We've been to Cruise Moab several times with our 80 series land cruiser. This year we will have our LX570 and will be doing easier trails. We were interested in possibly doing the swell overnight run but wanted to know if the consensus on whether or not it was trailer friendly. Our RTT etc is mounted on a modified M416 and is extremely capable. Opinions appreciated, thanks!!

Pipewhiner

New-ish
Trailer for reference
1000003531.jpg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We've been to Cruise Moab several times with our 80 series land cruiser. This year we will have our LX570 and will be doing easier trails. We were interested in possibly doing the swell overnight run but wanted to know if the consensus on whether or not it was trailer friendly. Our RTT etc is mounted on a modified M416 and is extremely capable. Opinions appreciated, thanks!!
Over the years, we've been asked this many times. Unfortunately, participants cannot bring trailers to the Swell run. The campground space is limited, and the final day of the run would require pulling your trailer on the trail (that has some difficulty).

You do have the option to drop off your trailer at Old Spanish Trail Arena before heading to the Swell meetup. If you plan to do this, please give them a call in advance. They'll tell you where you can park it for a few days.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You do have the option to drop off your trailer at Old Spanish Trail Arena before heading to the Swell meetup. If you plan to do this, please give them a call in advance. They'll tell you where you can park it for a few days.
I've done this, real easy to do. The parking is between the arena and the highway, in a spot they can even monitor it when they're in the office each day. Was super reasonable also, like maybe $5/day... they just rolled that into my camping fee for the event.

Pipewhiner

New-ish
Over the years, we've been asked this many times. Unfortunately, participants cannot bring trailers to the Swell run. The campground space is limited, and the final day of the run would require pulling your trailer on the trail (that has some difficulty).

Thanks for the info. We plan on camping at the Old Spanish Arena anyways. Maybe we could throw a small ground tent in if we do decide on the Swell Run. Thanks for the quick replies.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
If it were me, I would skip the ground tent option and put the RTT on the top of the 200 for the swell run. No sense in slumming it if you have the cush sleeping right there!

Pipewhiner

New-ish
If it were me, I would skip the ground tent option and put the RTT on the top of the 200 for the swell run. No sense in slumming it if you have the cush sleeping right there!
Also an option, we ran the RTT on top for a while but the convenience of the trailer and being able to establish a base camp has its merits. I'm sure i could find some able bodied assistance if we do pursue that course.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Also an option, we ran the RTT on top for a while but the convenience of the trailer and being able to establish a base camp has its merits. I'm sure i could find some able bodied assistance if we do pursue that course.
If I had an RTT I would prefer it on a trailer like yours also!
I'm sure that there will be plenty of hands willing to help transfer it to the roof and then back to the trailer out there. I would help if I was going!

FZJ Dave

I wouldn't consider the Swell run an "easier" trail. I would make sure your LX is up for the trail and meets the requirements for the run. It is rated a 6 by Cruise Moab and per this site: https://www.cruisemoab.com/trail-ratings/ requires minimum 33's and a rear locker or functioning A-Trac.

There have been several rigs break on the trail in recent years. I haven't been on it yet this year, but it is likely closer to a 7 than a 6 with the obstacles getting bigger and more dug out each year.

wesintl

RS Moderator
You could talk to Kurt. First and only time doing the swell (have run Eva con a bunch) as a part of CM there was plenty of camping next to lone warrior. While you don’t want to drag a trailer down black dragon you could run it down to the bottom before hand or drop it at the top and run back up and get it before heading back to rays.