• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Summer Time Blues

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Now that it's a bit easier to share pics on the forum ( thanks @Hulk !!), thought I'd share some of my favorite highlights for the summer fall.

After the stay at home orders were lifted, I tried to get out every weekend, think I was home maybe 4 weekends over the Summer and Fall? To be honest, it was a lot of fun hanging out closer to home and seeing parts of CO that I've always wanted to check out (still a big list of unseen places). Thanks to everyone who put up with me this summer.

After the "Stay at Home" orders were lifted at the end of April, I had to get out. So headed Southwest to visit some friends.

Masks were worn and we kept distant when needed.

Got distracted on McClure Pass- One of my favorite paved CO passes.

3.jpg

Spent a few days with my pals at Proffitt's. Felt good to connect with people again.

Dave and Roy contemplate the proper placement of brakes lines for a Stage 3 FJ40 body off restoration. Proffitt's Resurrection Land Cruisers.
8.jpg

Thursday Evening Social Distancing Hour @ ICP.

Since I couldn't hold my usual Summer Solstice get together at the Cabin ( we held off on big gatherings and hunting at the property this year), I started doing a "Social Distancing Hour" on Thursday (my Friday). The text invites were randomly sent and it seemed half the time I was by myself up at the property ( wasn't arguing). Managed to be up at the cabin for a night about twice a month this summer.

Fun times.

May 2020
5.jpg

Fantastic evening light in the Upper Meadows/Wilderness Boundary.
14.jpg

16.jpg

June 2020

Little Honeybadger
2.jpg

Soaking in a fine summer evening.
3.jpg

4.jpg

September 2020

In the upper Meadows, close to the Mt. Evans Wilderness Boundary. A damn fine sunrise.
6.jpg

Dan S.
7.jpg

We enjoyed a short stroll along some of the trails within the Wilderness Boundary. Pretty sure Martin has hiked most of these trails.
10.jpg

June club run down to Victor to explore the area. Definitely plan to head back down that way. Lots of fun history.

Along the old grade of the Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad.
3.jpg

7.jpg

Coming into Victor.
9.jpg

12.jpg

Downtown Victor, CO.
19.jpg

Victor and Cripple Creek RR. Need to ride.
23.jpg

Good views along the Shelf Road.
25.jpg

A fine camp (thanks Google Earth)
38.jpg

:beer: :beer:

bh4rnnr

June cont.

@TheHoneyBadger joined me for a quick day outing up Argentine. The pass was still closed in late June, but it was still nice to get up there. I had big plans for Argentine Pass this summer in checking off a lot of my personal "projects" for the valley, yet somehow only managed to get up there once this summer🤷‍♂️.

Still was a great day up on Argentine. Thanks for tagging along Travis.

@TheHoneyBadger and I parked at Waldorf. We'd hike from there.
1.jpg

I've eyeballed this cabin across the valley from Waldorf since we first got Argentine adopted. Curiosity finally got the better of me, se we set out in late June to check it out.
2.jpg

Good views of the pass as we started across the really wet valley.
4.jpg

Made it to the cabin. Looked like some one tried to do some work to the interior recently.... Maybe when they put the power lines in?
10.jpg

Marsh Merigolds?
11.jpg

Some cold water as we crossed Leavenworth Creek/Pioneer Union Ditch.
12.jpg

Travis had never been over to the Vidler Tunnel. So we checked it out before heading back down. Culvert was no longer at this section of road.
13.jpg

The original intent, from what I read, was that the Vidler Tunnel was to be an access for the trains to the claims in the Montezuma area....
14.jpg

Foundation is all that's left of the mill for the tunnel. Mt. Wilcox in the distance- there looks to be an old mine/building at the start of Timberline in that area that I need to check out next summer...
17.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 182
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Man, makin us look good. I can't pick a favorite in all this gold!

bh4rnnr

July.

To kick off July and celebrate the 4th, a few of us headed West to my beloved Henry's. Hard to believe it's been 10 years since I've been back ( fully) into that wonderfully remote desert range. A most enjoyably relaxing weekend with good company. Crazy to think I've been hanging out with some of these clowns for a good decadeo_O.

Fun fact: the Henry's were the last mountain range to be discovered and placed on a map of the US. First founded by Major Powell in 1869 and placed on a map in 1871.

Arrival-

Jackson contemplating the fording of the Fremont River- it was an easy crossing this time around.
4.jpg

5.jpg

Making our way to Bull Creek Pass. Felt darn good to be back in the Henry's.
18.jpg

One of my top 5 camps.
22.jpg

And my favorite perch.
27.jpg

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

4th of July in the Henry's.

-Around the Henry's.

A fine place to soak in Summer.
1.jpg

Back at the magic bus.
3.jpg

7.jpg

12.jpg

DMC even made an appearance for a day before heading off to other places in the desert.
15.jpg

19.jpg

Exploring some old Uranium Mines.
28.jpg

Paul's rigs always photograph well. I'm sold on the 200 series.
29.jpg

Taking in the views. We'll be on that peak tomorrow.
34.jpg

Back at my favorite perch. Another fine evening.
41.jpg

43.jpg

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

4th of July in the Henry's

-A most fantastic evening/night hike to Mt. Ellen, one of three prominent peaks in UT.

Paul always well setup.
2.jpg

Making the climb up to Mt. Ellen. We stopped a lot to soak in the views.
12.jpg

San Rafael Reef and Bull Mountain.
15.jpg

In the home stretch! We found a lot of Buffalo scat along this stretch of the hike. Closes I've come to seeing the last free roaming Buffalo herd in the US.
18.jpg

Chasing the setting sun to the top.
24.jpg

My pal Matt Ralston pushed us all and was the first to the summit. Unfortunately Daniel and Anna had to cut the trip short to tend to a tired and sick pup.
25.jpg

As we crested the summit, we watched the moon rise and the sun set at the same time. But it got better.
26.jpg

Jackson and Kurt making the summit.
30.jpg

Group photo- had the focus wrong...
33.jpg

After a bit of time at the summit, we started our way back to the rigs at Bull Creek Pass. While hiking along the 11k ft ridge, we stopped to watch the firework display from Hanksville, far below us. After, the full moon eclipse provided enough light for us to get back to the rigs and finally camp. Paul May ran out of beer ( a first that he kindly informed us about) and Kurt made me some mixed drinks. Lots of good company around the campfire well into the early morning. Might be one of my favorite days of the summer.

:beer::beer:

bh4rnnr

July cont.

Ghost Town Run 2020. We headed South this year to the Spanish Peaks and the East side of the Sangre de Christo's. Cant tell you how many time's I've driven the Spanish Peaks on my way South to Santa Fe only to wonder about them more and more. Fun to explore them a bit. Like most of Colorado, Texans seemed to make up most of the population outside of Denver.

Fun fact: I rode along with Bill Morgan in the Mighty Red Chili for the clubs first outing with the Clear Creek Ranger District for our inaugural clean up day on Argentine Pass.

Ghost Town Run 2020, Spanish Peaks.

Meet up in Aguilar. A town that looks to have some wonderful history. Some great buildings along Main Street.
1.jpg

Our first views of the Spanish Peaks.
3.jpg

Red Chili posing under Apishapa Arch.
8.jpg

Cordova Pass marker.
12.jpg

Cuchara in the distance.
16.jpg

La Veta.
20.jpg

23.jpg

Can only assume that there talking about my rear bumper build.......
24.jpg

25.jpg

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

July.

Ghost Town Run, Hermit Pass.

Making our way up Hermit Pass from Westcliff. Wet Mountains in the distance.
1.jpg

I had other camps picked out for this night (Google Earth) but we decided to take the first one available that could host the group. A mighty fine evening with good company.
6.jpg

7.jpg

Somebody was giving me the evil eye....
8.jpg

Morning light.
10.jpg

Indian Paintbrushes
13.jpg

Making our way up Hermit Pass.
16.jpg

20.jpg

At the top of Hermit Pass.
24.jpg

29.jpg

A good view of Horseshoe and Hermit Lakes. Westcliff and the Wet Mountains in the distance.
30.jpg

Moody at the top of Hermit Pass.
32.jpg

Making our way back to Westcliff.
34.jpg

36.jpg

bh4rnnr

July

Ghost Town Run, Cloverdale Mine.

Camp outside Hillside, CO. Shortly before the pine cone war.
1.jpg

Morning Vistas. I was late to wake up for the prime morning light...
4.jpg

Views above camp.
5.jpg

Columbine Reservoir.
6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

Further into the East side of the Sangre de Christos.
11.jpg

Cloverdale Mine.
13.jpg

18.jpg

We were like kids at a candy store.
19.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

My main reason for coming to this area and I didn't make it up to the mine.... A downside to having to go home early.....
27.jpg

Home bound.
29.jpg

Lars

RS Moderator
Staff member
Great pictures Perry. Looks like a full summer.

bh4rnnr

August

The first week of August was planned to visit Mom's family in Seattle, but cause of Covid, we felt it best to hold off. I still had the week off from work, so decided to head back down to Proffitt's.

First, I stopped at Rowdy Lake for a night. A wonderful spot in the Uncompaghre Wilderness that Treeroot and I stumbled upon after picking up my 3rd gen from Proffitt's in 2017. It was one of the more relaxing evenings I've had. Nice to get to camp and just chill out. While heading back out to Highway 50 then next morning, spotted a Brown Bear (looked to be a young teenager) about a mile from camp running across the road.

Rowdy Lake

Wish my pal Treeroot was here.....
1.jpg

First views of Rowdy Lake- it's been a few years.
4.jpg

The road coming into Rowdy Lake.
5.jpg

A fine way to spend an afternoon, evening.
6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

One last stop at the lake to take in the Sunrise before heading to Delta.
16.jpg

Fine views to start the morning drive.
17.jpg

bh4rnnr

A few more pics to post...

September.

Over Labor Day weekend, I headed down to B. Vista. A not on that- highly don't recommend heading to BV mid day Saturday on a holiday weekend, especially when you have obligations. 285 traffic seems to get worse and worse ( same for I-70).

One of my best friends ( part of the "Dork Squad", and was also part of the team for my Open Heart Surgery) was getting married in BV over Labor Day weekend. I worked up till mid day Saturday before heading down. I was excited for the festives, though a bit uneasy about large gatherings. Glad they were being cautious and most everything was outdoors. That Sunday was a bit of a free day, so knowing what I was close to, I set out Sunday morning to catch the morning light on Hancock Pass. I did have to force myself up Sunday- working 6 1/2 days, up at 2;30ish Saturday am only to get to bed around midnight to wake up at 4am Sunday for the sunrise. the reward was having Hancock Pass to myself for a few hours...

Chasing the morning light up Hancock Pass.
1.jpg

Looking back towards the Mary Murphy mine and St. Elmo.
2.jpg

Smokey skies.
3.jpg

4.jpg

Dropping down Hancock towards Tomichi.
5.jpg

Tomichi in the distance. You can barely make out the rolled vehicle.
6.jpg

Sherrod Curve. A spot on the Denver South Park and Pacific RR. The curve helped keep the track on the sunnier southern slope to help keep tracks clear of snow in the winter.
7.jpg

8.jpg

Further down the old grade for the Denver South Park and Pacific RR. Above me would be the route to the Alpine Tunnel. I'd planned to hike that section ( road still closed due to the avalanche in 2017) but forgot my hiking backpack🤦‍♂️....
9.jpg

10.jpg

bh4rnnr

11.jpg

At the unrestored water tank. Old inscriptions.
12.jpg

13.jpg

Hiked up to what I believe to be the headwaters of Middle Quartz Creek. Hancock Pass is just below the mountain to the right.
14.jpg

15.jpg

Spotted some super fresh bear scat while walking around the high alpine lake.
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Another good view of Hancock Pass while hiking back down to the runner.
21.jpg

Old mine at the start of Tomichi Pass.
22.jpg

23.jpg

St. Elmo was busy.
24.jpg

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I’m really loving this thread. You had some good adventures this year.