• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Stony Pass Question?

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I've searched the forum regarding Stony Pass (outside Silverton) but, there isn't a lot of detail regarding recent trail conditions that will help me with my question/concern.

Here's the issue. Our super cool 75 year old mountain neighbors (husband and wife) are training to hike the Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango in July -August, 2021 and we've volunteer to provide support and supply drops along the route for them. The last one is Stony Pass where the CTR crosses the pass. I just need to know if the trail out of Silverton and up to the pass is suitable for our 4wd Tiger? We want to get it up there to put on a celebratory dinner for them and camp. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

1995 4wd Tiger Camper with 3 inch lift, open diffs, 19 feet long, not much wider then a standard Chevy truck and heavy........

554936AB-9C8A-429D-9793-E15BE0179B3A.jpeg

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I think you could get it up there. Caveat is I’ve only biked it. It’s a pretty good road down to silverton. That’ll be the most epic section they’ll be finishing up when they see you.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Yes, the pass out of Silverton is doable, the back side has bogs once you get down the pass that could cause problems. Have fun.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yep, all of the above. You may find the decent through the aspen to be a little tight but by late July when you go you'll be following in the path of wider truck campers. The week of July 26 there will be lots of 100 and 200 series folks in the area as well (me included) so you might collect a few contacts before you go just in case things do get overly interesting. I expect you'll be fine and have a blast, it's a beautiful drive!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What kind of dinner?
At that point through hiking the CT anything not dehydrated is divine! Paul, consider that after Stony there's still 3 segments to go so be kind to their guts that probably last had a real meal in BV or maybe Lake City. The celebratory beer and dinner in Durango when you finish is pretty special, too!

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
What kind of dinner?

At that point through hiking the CT anything not dehydrated is divine! Paul, consider that after Stony there's still 3 segments to go so be kind to their guts that probably last had a real meal in BV or maybe Lake City. The celebratory beer and dinner in Durango when you finish is pretty special, too!

We had dinner with them last night and offered to grill up some steaks and tators and they were pretty excited about it since they would have been eating dehydrated food for weeks by that time. But, your advice is solid (pun intended) so I'll talk with them again and make sure we feed them the right stuff.

Thanks all for the trail info!

dehru

Wincher
Hey there, me and the family did Stony Pass ( as part of the Alpine Loop ) last summer. I've got some footage. For the Stony Pass part, we started on the Lake City side, camped, and then came out near Silverton. I had a stock Tacoma do it just fine. It's just super steep coming up from Silverton. The camping on the east side of the pass is EPIC. Here's the footage, the first several minutes is from Stony Pass. Lemme know if you want more information.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Hey there, me and the family did Stony Pass ( as part of the Alpine Loop ) last summer. I've got some footage. For the Stony Pass part, we started on the Lake City side, camped, and then came out near Silverton. I had a stock Tacoma do it just fine. It's just super steep coming up from Silverton. The camping on the east side of the pass is EPIC. Here's the footage, the first several minutes is from Stony Pass. Lemme know if you want more information.

Great video!

Thanks.