• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Stock Tacoma + Moab recommendations

pbushard

Brand New
Hey there. First time poster

I am heading out to Moab with my wife and kids within the next couple of weeks. Driving a stock Taco TRD Off-road DCLB.

What trails/dirt roads would you recommend for low-key fun and something cool for the kids to see?

Thanks in advance.

PB

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Long Canyon. Will need 4 wheel drive for some steep loose rock but any stock 4 wheel drive vehicle will do. Also Potash road to Shafer Trail road. You end up in Canyonlands National Park. Both roads are dirt, entry level for off-roading. Good views.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Great suggestions from beach boy. I’d add Gemini Bridges to that list.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Dome Plateau is a good one that's easy enough.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey there. First time poster

I am heading out to Moab with my wife and kids within the next couple of weeks. Driving a stock Taco TRD Off-road DCLB.

What trails/dirt roads would you recommend for low-key fun and something cool for the kids to see?

Thanks in advance.

PB
Depending on when you are out here, if you want another vehicle to go with you, give me a shout.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Dome Plateau is a good one that's easy enough.
The OP here will be fine since he's got a TRD with a locker but FWIW there's about 100 yards at the Dewey Bridge end that has gotten dug out and widened by people driving around the bigger rocks to the point that when we ran it in late July 2021 at least one open diff truck needed a strap to get up it.

If you run it from north to south then it's just a little section where you have to watch tire placement as you descend, though.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The OP here will be fine since he's got a TRD with a locker but FWIW there's about 100 yards at the Dewey Bridge end that has gotten dug out and widened by people driving around the bigger rocks to the point that when we ran it in late July 2021 at least one open diff truck needed a strap to get up it.

If you run it from north to south then it's just a little section where you have to watch tire placement as you descend, though.
When i ran it during Cruise Moab i did the entire trail in 2wd

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
When i ran it during Cruise Moab i did the entire trail in 2wd
It's possible I just imagined it happening.

It is mostly an easy trail except for that rock section.

The double step/switchbacks in the middle aren't that easy. Here it's mostly low range and having faith. You will drag the back bumper off the top lip if you have a taildragger pickup like me.

domeplateau003.png

Or that little dip and climb at the north end. She made this with more throttle to bump over but on the other obstacle, just too crossed up, no traction.

164077385_10218081163330874_7650110315566544775_n.jpg

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It's possible I just imagined it happening.
I'm not saying you're wrong by any means.
Just stating that I ran the entire thing starting at Dewey Bridge in my 3rd gen 4Runner in 2wd. I did have my locker on too.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm not saying you're wrong by any means.
Just stating that I ran the entire thing starting at Dewey Bridge in my 3rd gen 4Runner in 2wd. I did have my locker on too.
As I said, the locker will make it inconsequential. But easy would imply any stock open/open 4WD SUV will make it and that is likely not true anymore.