Stick with Ham or time to go GMRS?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
True, but the MXT400 doesn't have channels 8-14 either. Maybe Midland just hasn't updated them according to the most recent FCC rules.

Now my head hurts. :bawl:
I was just looking at the FCC documents and it appears the MXT275 does 11K0F3Ε, which means it's a narrowband radio. So it's not a bandwidth question apparently. It does 5 watts on low and 15 watts on high.

Incidentally, that's kind of odd to hamstring a GMRS radio by making it adhere to narrowband when you could use your full allocation to increase fidelity and range. I guess it's to meet in the middle so as to be compatible with FRS radios.

If you're gonna do might as well put in a 1/2 watt output and include all 22 channels. Not sure the reasoning of the FCC.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thanks, Dave. That makes way more sense.

I'm not going to lie...I had to look up the definition of "interstitial"...

WHY CAN'T THE FCC JUST SAY "THE 'IN-BETWEEN' CHANNELS"?!

I think I'm going to have a few advil and go back to bed for a bit. :banghead:
Ha, yeah, it's the truly descriptive word for "half way in-between channel".

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The weird part is that based on §95.1767, it seems like there aren't any channels where you can actually transmit up to 50 watts using a GMRS radio.
I feel like the FCC didn't think these changes all the way through. Maybe they will provide clarification. You have to think the radio manufacturers are asking these questions.