steering questions

subzali

Hard Core 4+
rebuilt center arm last night, there was a plastic ring in the kit what's it for? OEM there's a felt seal that goes at the bottom of the cylinder, is this plastic ring supposed to replace it?

trying to put on new tie rod ends this morning, looks like the ends are threaded but I've turned one 10 revs and it doesn't look like it's moved. Hints/tricks?

Also looks like I'm going to have to rebuild my rear axles soon, leak starting...:(

But I think I've stopped the leak on my front output shaft!:D

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
the plastic ring is a new one to me...last one i rebuilt had a seal for the bottom

on your tie rod, you might try spreading the rod a little bit. make sure the clamp is pushed far down past the slit and pry it outwards a little bit.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Ige, yeah I couldn't really see where the plastic thing went...it wouldn't bend to fit in the slot where the felt was, and there's no room anywhere else.

TREs are on, even though I couldn't find my pickle fork that I bought JUST for that job:confused: , turns out there's left AND right hand threaded TREs:rolleyes: . So after those two little pieces of work the steering is *less* sloppy but still has some. What else can be replaced/adjusted? Steering box is a pretty easy adjustment right? Will it take 2-3 inches of steering wheel travel out? What about drag link/pitman arm etc?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
so got the truck aligned. Just for grins what are the toe-in specs for a 40? Even though replacing the TREs and rebuilding the center arm took out some play, whilst the truck was in the shop we had them look at it and when we picked it up they showed us the steering box. There's a lot of play in the steering box, which I should have seen before but somehow missed? :confused:. Does this dude wear out pretty often? Any adjustments? Cheap/easy to get/replace? I know you suckas are gonna tell me that I shoulda done powa' steering instead of replacing my TREs, center arm and steering box, but what can you do...I'm in college, I'm a newb, so I tried to be methodical and I guess I got burned on this one...:frown:

wesintl

RS Moderator
subzali said:
so got the truck aligned. Just for grins what are the toe-in specs for a 40?
I think it's right around 0... -1 to +1, +-2 ?? I can't remember.

subzali said:
There's a lot of play in the steering box, which I should have seen before but somehow missed? :confused:. Does this dude wear out pretty often? Any adjustments? Cheap/easy to get/replace? I know you suckas are gonna tell me that I shoulda done powa' steering instead of replacing my TREs, center arm and steering box, but what can you do...I'm in college, I'm a newb, so I tried to be methodical and I guess I got burned on this one...:frown:

There is a sector shaft adjustment. Basically lift the front end. Tighten the adjustement while moving the steering where back and forth til there is resistence. Then I usually loosen it a tad something like 1/4 turn maybe more. Just to where the wheel doesn't have resistence. Then tighten the lock nut. They can be rebuilt.