• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Steering Concerns

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
Hey, I've had some steering issues the past year. To start with my steering wheel would lock up when turning left at full lock for some reason. It would usually happen when turning into a parking spot or a u-turn. I ended up flushing and replacing the power steering fluid and it still locks up. Also, the past couple of months I've started to get this loud noise coming from the driver side tire, steering area. It's a little hard to describe but does not sound too good. It also only happens when I turn left and at full lock. I know my description of the issue may not be so good sorry about that but if you have an idea of what it may be please let me know.

Has anyone else had this happen to their 100 series? I have an 06 with 285K on it.

Thanks,

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
Look under you dash and make sure no wires are hanging up on the steering shaft. Also have someone look under the car when you steer lock to lock making sure there are no obvious issues.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Is the power steering fluid topped up and fresh? By locked up you mean like lose power steering or it binds?

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Can you take a short movie of the sound? Is it clicking, clunking, grinding, rubbing?
Any leaks in your power steering system? Pump does strain at full turn and if pump is going out this will get loud and you might see a leak near pump. Although this sound is from PS of engine bay it can sometimes be hard to tell where the sound is coming from while you are in the driver seat.

Pull the skid plate clean area and watch.

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
Nice, I will work on that this weekend. Thanks for the help everyone.