Starting to build an expedition trailer...

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Well, I just ordered up a 3500# axle for an off road, expedition style trailer I am building. This will be like the smaller m416 military types, but a bit taller and a little more functional for what I want to do with it.

Stacy and I want to really start exploring this great state and our neighbors to the west, and since the 40 has SO much room we thought that this would be the best set-up for us. We are creating a small tow-behind self contained unit that will best be described as a "pop-up" that can hack a trail rated around 3 or so.

Plans are:
Trailer mounted tent (got the Mombassa CTT)
Fully sealed main storage box with tailgate and lid.
35" MTR's on cruiser wheels (thanks Wes!)
Fully functioning galley (kitchen) with sink, faucet, stove, on board water, counters, and drawers, on board LPG.
External shower/wash down (hot and cold water)
Storage Drawer system (similar to a drifta)
On board power 12v and 120v when parked at a KOA or similar.
Cruiser track width.
21 gallon water tank with Shurflo 12v pump.

We also designed this to be able to retro fit an ARB/Engle style fridge onto a slide out drawer or front box, if a deal ever pops up.

Should be fun. Once the axle is here, the final scale drawings will be created and fab work will begin. It has been about 9 months of planning designing and gathering parts to make it happen. Our recent trip to Australia really got us motivated to get moving on it!

I am sure I will be after lots of imput from this group!

Here is a link to my brainstorming session on mud: There are some rough sketches of the design on post numbers 38-39:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=108388

Drew and Stacy

let me know if you need any help I want to build one as my next toy!

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Bring beer. ;)

that should have read...

Once the axle is here... and the ski season ends... and I stock up on lots of gourmet :beer: ... the fab work begins.:bowdown: :thumb:

:D