• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Sprung Over 40s

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
My Dad and I have wanted to spring over his 40 for quite some time, and now that overheating isn't too much of an issue the conversation has become more serious.

What are the parts to get to avoid axel wrap? Or just words of wisdom with the process.

The idea is to spring it over and put it on 80 or 60 axles with 35s. Any and all advice is welcome.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
For axle wrap the main thing is a traction bar on the back axle, like this one:

FJ40_Land_Cruiser_Traction_Bar.jpg

You weld one side to the axle, the other to the cross member, it's essentially an upper control arm just like on your 80.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The Cassis Engineer term is a Torque Arm. For the link that Tim is talking about. It takes some fairly careful planning to be done right with leaf springs. If the front of the spring and the torque arm don’t travel in the same arc, there will be significant binding. Probably best to use a good OE bushing in the application to keep it from ripping itself apart..

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
The 40 series springs have really tiny bushings. They wear out fast in soa configuration so keep that in mind. The rear is not too bad in keeping the height to around 5" lift. The front is more difficult to keep low and would be easier with reverse eye leafs. In my opinion once you get above 4" lift the returns start to diminish on a 40. The 80 series axles would increase offroad capability a lot I think.

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
If you are going to go through the effort of swapping to wider axles I’d just link it and be done.

either way I’d stretch the wheelbase
Good point wonder about the cost of linking it all tho