Springbar Autofly - roof rack awning???

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Anybody have experience with these? I’m getting behind the idea of having some shade attached to my 60. These are made by the Springbar canvas tent company in Utah. The awning doesn’t permanently mount, but it does look like it goes up pretty quick. They even use a 62 in the photo on their website.

I was considering scratch-building an awning from waxed canvas and a Keder rail system, but for the price I really like the looks and size of this Autofly thing. Poking around for real-world reviews on the web doesn’t yield much. Hoping one of y’all have something to say.

BE9BCA1F-7A70-47B2-B451-FCFFCA8B6FAE.jpeg

Springbar Autofly

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Never seen one. But my first reaction is for that money why not just get an ARB, Sunseeker, Ironman, etc. which are fairly common and easy to use. Also with something you have to take out of the truck and set up completely I'm not sure I'd use it that much, compared to one that's already there and just needs to be unzipped. (Packed dimensions: 6” x 6” x 48”) also not sure where I'd store that? Or it would be so buried under other stuff that I wouldn't bother. I think awnings are most useful when they're easy to set up & put away.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It's a bit pricey (but probably not out of line for waxed canvas at this point). It's basically a much nicer version of what I do with tarps. I tried a mounted awning but the way I have to do it dictates not using the roof rack but rather a track on the side. To make it tall enough to stand under it ended up in the way trying to fold up the camper. I'd be keen so see if the quality (Springbar is unquestioned there) justifies the price.

One nice thing is that you could use it on either side. The way my camper opens driver's side is dictated (but then again I get free shade with with the lid) but for a truck with just a roof rack it would seem handy to set up the shade on the side you actually need it.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@nakman I’ve wrestled with your point - if it’s permanent it’ll get more use, if it’s something that needs set up every time, it’ll get less use. I waffled, but ultimately decided that since I daily my 60 (and street parking in Denver) I want something non-permanent.

@DaveInDenver I like the flexibility - put it on the side for lounging, or put it over the rear if I’m cooking on the tailgate. I also find that waxed canvas is easier to maintain. Easier to clean and easier to re-waterproof than synthetic fabrics. Grab a hunk of beeswax and go to town rather than find the silicone spray, make sure it’s not windy, and hope you sprayed in an even pattern - I’ve had poor luck with that on synthetic rain jackets over the years.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver I guess your comment about Springbar quality is what I was looking for. I’ve always heard their tents are great, but never seen one in the flesh.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Keep an eye on Craigslist too. I got my CVT awning from a guy in Denver for $75.
I’ve seen some deals on ARB awnings go quick over the past few months. If I can grab something for a fraction the price of new I’ll pull the trigger as an experiment. To hell with being picky if the price is low enough!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@nakman I’ve wrestled with your point - if it’s permanent it’ll get more use, if it’s something that needs set up every time, it’ll get less use. I waffled, but ultimately decided that since I daily my 60 (and street parking in Denver) I want something non-permanent.
Agreed, that's where the rack receivers come in to play... ;)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yes exactly, it's essentially a miniature receiver hitch. And I've probably got a couple used/old revision sets around that would likely match a used awning, if you run across one.