Spring Creek Weekend

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
So Nay and my new Tacoma friend, Carlisle who lives in my neighborhood, had a good run on Spring Creek today. Pictures to come tomorrow. The trail is much harder in spots (like the garden). Nays 80 was really hooking up with his custom 3" suspension and 35's.

So what about the Sat. run. Did you guys go?

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
JadeRunner said:
So Nay and my new Tacoma friend, Carlisle who lives in my neighborhood, had a good run on Spring Creek today. Pictures to come tomorrow. The trail is much harder in spots (like the garden). Nays 80 was really hooking up with his custom 3" suspension and 35's.

So what about the Sat. run. Did you guys go?

Yes we went, it's a good thing you went sunday. We showed up at about 10:30 and the trail was closed for a mtn bike race until noon. So we proceeded up almost to bill moore lake for something to do and then started spring creek at about 1:00. Had a hard time on the 3rd obstacle, rock garden was tough too. We had a few mechanicals, cherokee - broken brake line, and two flat tires (not mine). We got back into Idaho Springs at about 8:30. Long day but fun. Few new dents in the underside of the 100. Pics when I round them up.

ben

Nay

Hard Core 4+
We had a blast. Spring Creek has become a lot tougher trail since the last time I was up there. We were on the trail by 9:45 and at the top past the rock garden at around 1:45. Probably a third of that was watching other groups attempt the tougher stuff...the 3rd obstacle on the switchback seemed to cause as much or more overall problems as the garden. I think the bypass to the worst of the rock garden is as bad as the garden itself was 6 years ago.

I did manage to knock my rear exhaust hanger off backing down off the first obstacle to give it a bump, but other than that it was a pretty clean run. I've been planning to cut and reroute it for clearance, so now it's trail clearanced :cool:

The new suspension with 35's was incredible. But this thread remains useless without pics, and I have almost none (always a sign of a good run when there is too much going on to take a bunch of pictures). :cheers:

Nay

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
That's too bad the trail was closed. I saw the red "trail is closed" markings on the ground at the start but ignored them.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Evidentially they closed Spring Creek rd. on Sat. for a bike race. They didn't go back and remove the painted markings on the dirt at the beginning of the trail after the race like they should have.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I'm just wondering who thought that Spring Creek was a good choice for a bike race?

I'm trying to visualize a bunch of mountain bikers trying to get up the rock garden :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Singletrack it aint for sure...

60wag

Rising Sun Member
They may have been coming down it. It'd be a sweet decent on a downhill rig.