• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Spring Creek sunday 8/9

justin4045

Rising Sun Member
Looking to find someone else to run spring creek with me this sunday 8/9. I've never done it but have always wanted to. Heard its a fun one.
Don't want to go solo. Any interest?

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’d love to, but yeah...... I’m surprised you’ve never run it.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
If I was built, or someone had an extra seat in their vehicle, that sounds like a sweet run!

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
What trail is this? I am not familiar and I seem to be having trouble finding a description.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
What rig and how is it built? It has gotten a lot harder from when Scott Yoder and I did the original Rising Sun Fathers Day run in June 2000. Back then the rock garden was to hardest part. Since then the hard left on the second major obstacle has become a huge issue. When past RS Commander Tim Nakari and Paul Larger did it in our (my40) Tim's 100 and Paul's 80, Tim declared that he would NEVER do that trail again in his 100. He had to pull cable to get up past that obstacle, and I have endured significant rock rash on that spot several years in a row in my 40.

A decade or so ago past Rising Sun Commander Greg Luer and I saw how a guy in a stock 60 was struggling and we had to strap him up the bypass in the rock garden. He and I agreed that from then on 33s and a locker should be minimum for this run.

Since then, the last couple time I have run this trail, conditions have deteriorated, and the section above the the rock garden is even tougher than the rock garden itself.

33s and rear locker minimum, and a very experienced driver are my strong recommendation.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Been almost two decades since I have done it...

2002; my XJ, pretty stock TJ and I believe a mostly stock Tacoma.
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg

Then again in 2003 with my XJ minus doors and the same TJ slightly more built:
IMG_1786.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Oh and BTW you don't want to go solo, the chances of breakage are around 50% in my experience of doing this trail 20 or so times over the past couple decades. I'll never forget the time Perry broke his TRE on his 89 Runner "Skelator" and we got him out wall eyed with however many degrees of toe out with a makeshift repair. Uncle Ben broke a birf in his 62 and the list goes on. It's a fun trail but you better be prepared.

Since it a Sunday, I'll see if I can come out and lead. I still don't have a new whip for my CB but the base still works LOL!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
If I was built, or someone had an extra seat in their vehicle, that sounds like a sweet run!

Aaron. I’ve run it a few times in my 4Runner w/ out issue. Skids and a rear locker you’re good, minus the “wall”.

Last edited:

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Having never heard of this trail before, now im wanting to try it haha. But im guessing no dice on a stock unlocked 80 without a front sway bar? I feel like if I had sliders id be more inclined to give it a shot..but without idk.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Having never heard of this trail before, now im wanting to try it haha. But im guessing no dice on a stock unlocked 80 without a front sway bar? I feel like if I had sliders id be more inclined to give it a shot..but without idk.

without sliders I wouldn’t, and you’ll want at least one locker. It’s probably the “hardest” trail within an hour of Denver.

Last edited:

RedRunner

Lifted
Did you guys run this yesterday? How did it go?

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
without sliders I wouldn’t, and you’ll want at least one locker. It’s probably the “hardest” trail within an hour of Denver.
Agreed, last time I ran it, 4 years ago, a 4Runner blew his rear diff at the rock garden and yours truly drug him out. Everything above the rock garden is pretty tore up as well.

Great trail but preparation and experience is a must.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Agreed. As I wrote upthread, 33s and a locker minimum. Oh that, and you better be a damn good driver too.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
That's what I figured. Thanks for the input guys!

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Nope didn’t end up going. I’ll find a date later on, maybe early September and organize a run with more than a few days notice.
I'll be down once i'm up and running!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Nope didn’t end up going. I’ll find a date later on, maybe early September and organize a run with more than a few days notice.
You'll dig it, Justin, super fun in a rig like your big droopy 40.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Interested. Spring creek is a fun and challenging trail. Always something different with this one, trail changes, breakage, recoveries, antics from idaho springs locals and variable rigs from stock jeeps to tube buggies. I have run it many times in the past but have not yet in my tacoma.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I can’t remember for sure, but I think I was open diffs on 33s and struggled big on that one hard left turn obstacle. That was many years ago. I think 33s and a locker would be MINIMUM on that now, although an IFS might have slight advantage with that one big rock being inside the tire path. Fun trail.

I think Tim said never again because he was emotionally drained by his Duratrac tire failures. Nothing like changing a flat in the middle of the rock garden ;)

I remember the trail more from being speared through my hand by a stick (slipping on a rock, landing on sharp stick) than anything else. After that, I was just in a hurry to get through the trail!

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
That hard left is the worst part of the trail imo. At least in the rock garden you can pick an easier line.