Spring Creek Father's Day Run

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
You can't see it from this angle, but Bruce's diff is on a VERY large rock, starting a series of several stuck-stucks in the Rock Garden. After a bit of high-lift work, he was back on his way.

Attachments

• SC200813.jpg
    SC200813.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 288

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
This photo does not do justice to what we saw with our eyes, but there's about 43 feet of air under Bruce's 80 as he delicately finds his line from those rocks in the garden.

Attachments

• SC200814.jpg
    SC200814.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 308

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Leif's wife is having a GREAT time at the meadow at the top. I was really impressed with both his 100's stock capability and with Leif's driving skill. Land Cruisers rock!

I think everyone's kids had a great time too!

Attachments

• SC200816.jpg
    SC200816.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
The view from the meadow at the top is just wonderful! What a great way to spend Father's day!

Attachments

• SC200817.jpg
    SC200817.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 321

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You guys took that right hand line on the first obstacle!? I saw a J**P flopped on that line last summer, and it looked WAY too tippy for my tastes. Nice work, I wish I could have seen it. Looks like a good group and a fun day!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
The first obstacle is nothing like it was before (rock aside of course). The right-ish line is not bad, and if you turn such that your driver's front goes in the hole, you actually go up quite level.

I've seen a Heep flop taking the left line, which is pretty much how it always was (since it is mostly rock). He dropped his passenger front in the aforementioned hole. Not a good plan.
:lmao:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yep I do remember that, keep that pass. side out of the hole. Interesting, maybe I'll have to try it this summer. I got a winch ;)

:lmao:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
We had a great time as well. That's to Jeff for setting this up again. The kids had fun and therefore so did Dad. Our group consisted of built rigs and\or experienced drivers so the run went smoothly. The first obstacle has changed and slightly easier with a new bypass half way up near the tree. IMO everyone intent on taking the whole trail should take this obstacle since it isn’t any tougher that any of the others mandatory obstacles. I had the kids watching from the sideline and took the middle rock slap line without issue.

The next little obstacle on the shelf road is usually a non issue. So I didn’t pay attention to taking the correct line and I somehow got hung up on the front and rear and had to be strapped back off. Like Bill mentioned, the next switchback obstacle is opened up and I was able to just turn through it and go without having to back up. In the rock garden I picked a line through the middle and once I got up over the first rock I was able to clean the rest of it. That was fun.

I just took a few pictures of us in the rock garden since I was pretty busy with the kids with all their snacks requirements and needs. Sorry I missed saying farewell to everyone at the top. I took the kids into the wood to pee, came back and most everyone was gone. Mike, CJ and I took a left at the top and I found the quick way down to the service road past the tourist mine. Home by 3:30. It was a super Fathers Day indeed.

Attachments

• P1000009 (Small).JPG
    P1000009 (Small).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 268
  • P1000010 (Small).JPG
    P1000010 (Small).JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 271
  • P1000011 (Small).JPG
    P1000011 (Small).JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 266
  • P1000017 (Small).JPG
    P1000017 (Small).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 269

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looks like a great day. I have to admit, I bailed out of the run largely because I thought it was going to be way too crowded and a really long day. Looks like I was wrong - oh well....

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Awesome trip report guys!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Looks like a great day. I have to admit, I bailed out of the run largely because I thought it was going to be way too crowded and a really long day. Looks like I was wrong - oh well....

Yeah, it was quite the pleasant surprise! Maybe next year eh?

Well, it was just the launch of my birthday week celebration! I had a great time Jeff!

I have been buried at work, so this was my first significant wheeling...since CruiseMoab 2007!!! Holy cats, I need to get out more!

:beer:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
On a side note. A few of my co-workers with jeeps asked me if I wanted to run Spring Creek with them Wed. night. So I said sure. It was Matt in his 79 CJ7 (open, 31” MTR’s) and Tony in his Rubi, with new 6 “ lift, with stock 31” MTR’s. Several other co-workers rode along with all of us. Tony didn’t have a spare because he had a blowout Sunday on Kelly Flats and was expecting his new wheels and tires to arrive any day. I gave him a hard time about doing a run without a spare on several occasions. But he went anyway.

We get to the first obstacle, I churped up the middle slab line again. Didn’t make it and had to back up a little and get a little run at it to get up. Tony in the Rubi tried the same line, his rear tires slid down into the holes. He punched it, did a several major wheel stands and got up. He was a little out of control and I thought he was going to flip it. He got lucky. Then the CJ7 dies at the bottom of the hill. After trouble shooting it for a while we concluded the fuel pump was out, even though he just replaced it. I went back to Colfax Ave. and came back with a new pump. We got it on, it fixed his problem and he easily did the bypass part of the obstacle and we continued on. It was dark by then.

I was planning to just take them up a little ways past the next shelf road obstacle. This is the one where I fell into the holes\rocks and got hung up on Sunday. This time I stayed up on the rocks with no issue. I spotted them up the same lines with no issues. Then just before the next switchback Tony hit’s some timbers on the uphill side of the road and has a sidewall blowout. We got it off the trail at the switchback to jack it up. But he doesn’t have a jack. I politely gave him a hard time again and got mine out. They got a spare out my other co-workers jeep back in town that night and went back up the next morning to retrieve his jeep. It was quite a quite exiting for trip for all these guys and I’m sure they all leaned a few lessons. I wasn't in the picture mood.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
wow, sounds like quite an adventure!

Sorry it took me so long to chime in, but I had a great time! Thanks Jeff for leading and to all for a great time!

Thanks for the pics!

-Marco

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Sorry it took me so long to chime in, but I had a great time! Thanks Jeff for leading and to all for a great time!

Thanks for the pics!

-Marco

You're welcome! It was pleasure having you along! You rig is very capable, and more importantly, you are an excellent driver and a great person to be around!

Scott, sorry to hear about your j**p friend's travails; experiences like that make us appreciate Rising Sun and TLCA all that much more, don't they? Not trying to be smug here, stuff happens to everyone. But when you are more prepared (once a Boy Scout, always a Boy Scout), things are often less of a hassle than they would be otherwise. I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Quick story: We did a Rising Sun run on Hackett Gulch the Friday after turkey day in 2001, shortly before the Hayman fire closed the trail. It was muddy, snowy, but it's good November trail because it is lower in elevation and isn't choked by snow in the winter.

Open/open on 31s, I made it up Hackett rock, only to pop a tire on the way up. Linda :Princess: (this was her first 4 wheeling trip with me) was astounded that I didn't freak out, cuss and throw a fit. I turned to her calmly as I got out the jack and said "that's why we carry spares". The spare was on and the popped tyre was on the back before the rest of the group made it over the rock.

;)

Happy cruisin'!