• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Spooky Night Run 2021

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
UPDATE [10/25/21]:
Decorate your trucks, kids, family, and/or dogs and yourself! Time to go wheeling into the night!

This annual run is a great one for family and kids! We'll have dinner around 6:30 on the trail, so pack a meal and some to share around the campfire. The burn ban is low and @Inukshuk is packing his campfire pit. Feel free to bring your propane fire pits or grill for meals.

Where to meet: Clear Creek Ranger District parking lot
39.740217, -105.521958 ( 39°44'24.8"N 105°31'19.1"W )
This year's trail will be Devil's Canyon in Idaho Springs: TrailsOffRoad
A relatively moderate loop 5 mile trail

When: October 30th, 2021
Class @ 3pm
Driver meeting: 4pm
Roll out @ 4:30

Daniel needs/wants to teach a class that evening which will start at 3pm. If you already know everything, show up at 4pm and be ready to roll out at 4:30.
Topics are up for debate:
High lift winching
Gear Inventory, ie: What do I have? Is it good, and how does it get used?
Post up want you want to discuss!

COMMS:
HAM: 146.460
GMRS/FRS: Ch. 4
CB: Really?! You still use those? Ch. 4, I guess, but we can lend you a FRS to borrow for the night…

What to bring:
Food
Recovery gear bag (Never know what we'll find out there)
Great attitude/Happy family
Warm clothes as the temperature drops

Leave at home:
Bad attitudes/Mean dogs and/or kids
Non-trail worthy project trucks...

Who: Possible you!
1635186150081.png

@Oh_shift
@Inukshuk
@Johnny Utah
@MonPetiteShoe
@cbranch & @Duchess
@FireMike
@Killacaviar
@On the RX
@Burt88
@100hawk
@Cruisertrash

Someone convince @TheHoneyBadger it's worth joining in...

[Original Post]:
Well, this needs to be planned for this year! Anyone interested in heading this up? Only a couple more weekends left in October...

I could lead us through Slaughterhouse Gulch, but that's what I did last year. That and Kingston are what I'm comfortable leading, but Kingston closes on Friday and I'm sure people want some variety.

Post up your thoughts and let's get the conversation going!

Last edited:

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Yeah buddy, I'm with you as I'm not sure what I want to lead but I'll try to help out. I guess between trail closures and weather coming in up high we'll see what's able to be run and when? I played in Pole Hill Rd by Estes Park last week, but besides Miller Rock I can't think of fun stuff near me.

Oneops

How’s Switzerland or Rollins pass?

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
I just got my replacement switch pro. Need to get it all reconnected, then I'm game for a night run.
💡💡💡

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
How about Devil's Canyon, a little known area 20 minutes outside Idaho Springs. A few easy loops, a few minor challenges, and plenty of space for a cookout. You can dispersed camp there too.

Saturday October 30, right?

shellb

Hard Core 4+
How about Devil's Canyon, a little known area 20 minutes outside Idaho Springs. A few easy loops, a few minor challenges, and plenty of space for a cookout. You can dispersed camp there too.

This is from yesterday as FYI. Wish I could join!

“Super fun trail, some tricky sections that are getting washed out. Drove the loop clockwise and really glad we did. There is packed snow on the steep sections between WP6 and WP7, Would have been very slippery driving up those sections. Driving down was easy. After WP7 the trail is dry and no problems there.”

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I would probably try to make Devil's Canyon on the 30th work. One of the first trails I ran when I got my Land Cruiser and haven't been back

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member

@Inukshuk If you're OK leading, this sound like a cool trail. You always have great suggestions on routes. I'm yet to be disappointed.

This is from yesterday as FYI. Wish I could join!

“Super fun trail, some tricky sections that are getting washed out. Drove the loop clockwise and really glad we did. There is packed snow on the steep sections between WP6 and WP7, Would have been very slippery driving up those sections. Driving down was easy. After WP7 the trail is dry and no problems there.”
@shellb Where did you read this? Might be fun to find some snow on this run. Last couple years have been dry.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I used to live in Evergreen and hit Devils Canyon on the regular. Pretty fun trail and if I remember right its stock friendly.

There is a gate that they close pretty early in the season though. Not sure when.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
@Oh_shift I thought you were leading. I'd co-lead/lead/lead gun a spooky night run (with cookout) with you. These are always fun runs and sometimes spooky! Weather permitting we can set up some propane grills and make campfires in the portable firepits many of us have (and bring plenty of water to douse). The hardy might even camp out.
Devil's Canyon sounds workable with Stony Pass as an all-weather backup (I have driven Stony Pass in winter in a Subaru. Still, its fun in a 4x4)
To do this I need to multitask, I'll need to practice teaching something. Do you all think a few people would be willing to meet an hour earlier for a class. Possible topics: driving principles, basic 4WD principles, winch rigging, gear inventory (what do I have, is it good, how does it get used), hi-lift uses.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I will give this some thought and discuss with the copilot!
@Oh_shift I thought you were leading. I'd co-lead/lead/lead gun a spooky night run (with cookout) with you. These are always fun runs and sometimes spooky! Weather permitting we can set up some propane grills and make campfires in the portable firepits many of us have (and bring plenty of water to douse). The hardy might even camp out.
Devil's Canyon sounds workable with Stony Pass as an all-weather backup (I have driven Stony Pass in winter in a Subaru. Still, its fun in a 4x4)
To do this I need to multitask, I'll need to practice teaching something. Do you all think a few people would be willing to meet an hour earlier for a class. Possible topics: driving principles, basic 4WD principles, winch rigging, gear inventory (what do I have, is it good, how does it get used), hi-lift uses.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
We are interested, devils canyon is fun, but we would have to cut out early so we can make it to see @bassguyry and funk uglies last show, which I highly recommend if you want to rock!

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
funk uglies last show, which I highly recommend if you want to rock!
We want the funk!
Down for the spooky night run, it was our first run with RS.
Also down to show up early and get some learnin' done with Daniel.