• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Spooky Night Run 2020 - Oct 24th

cbranch

Rock Stacker
Hey all, new here and also new to offroading. My 100 is lifted and armored but I've only done a few easy trails so far (Yankee Hill to Central City, Loch Lomond, and Chinn's Lake); would y'all recommend a beginner joining on this trail or should I get some more practice and join up on another adventure?

joltman

Rising Sun Member
what forest is this in, is it still legal, or does it need to be postponed?
This is a good question. Based on the forest service closure map (here) this trail appears to still be open.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey all, new here and also new to offroading. My 100 is lifted and armored but I've only done a few easy trails so far (Yankee Hill to Central City, Loch Lomond, and Chinn's Lake); would y'all recommend a beginner joining on this trail or should I get some more practice and join up on another adventure?
Don't let the name intimidate, slaughterhouse gulch is a good beginner trail and you will be with some experienced people if you need a spotter or assistance.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Can't make it. Have to go see inlaws and stuff. :confused:

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
I just got back from running the trail. Obstacles are all still there, no one's moved them. More and more bypasses have shown up. The one that really stood out to me was the one at the bath tub. I guess people aren't buying waterproof trucks anymore...

Trail was all dry and clear of debris. But, Saturday's forecast does not look to be as dry. Bring extra clothes as we might be getting wetter or colder than usual.

I'm running stock height with sliders and engine skid plate. Dinged a few places, but came home in one piece. Any truck Toyota has made will be fine to run this trail. Can't speak for those outside the brand, but if you need help on wheel placement over anything, we have plenty of trained eyes joining in on Saturday that are willing and able to help.

joltman

Rising Sun Member
I just got back from running the trail. Obstacles are all still there, no one's moved them. More and more bypasses have shown up. The one that really stood out to me was the one at the bath tub. I guess people aren't buying waterproof trucks anymore...

Trail was all dry and clear of debris. But, Saturday's forecast does not look to be as dry. Bring extra clothes as we might be getting wetter or colder than usual.

I'm running stock height with sliders and engine skid plate. Dinged a few places, but came home in one piece. Any truck Toyota has made will be fine to run this trail. Can't speak for those outside the brand, but if you need help on wheel placement over anything, we have plenty of trained eyes joining in on Saturday that are willing and able to help.
@Oh_shift were these places that also have a bypass? I'm probably going to be babyin' the truck until I get some sliders and lift or armor. Thanks!

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@joltman The bypasses generally get called out on the radio so you won't miss them. Also, touch base with the leader at the meet up, you could follow him and he'd be happy to direct you when you get to the interesting stuff. This crew will have your back all the way. Great to do some research ahead of time but just showing up will be sufficient for you to get all the info needed on this one and have a blast. ... that's how we roll.

Thanks a lot @Oh_shift I'm working on a plan to join up also!

Pike / San Isabel is still open but we'll keep a close eye out for changes, not expecting a change at this time.

joltman

Rising Sun Member
@joltman The bypasses generally get called out on the radio so you won't miss them. Also, touch base with the leader at the meet up, you could follow him and he'd be happy to direct you when you get to the interesting stuff. This crew will have your back all the way. Great to do some research ahead of time but just showing up will be sufficient for you to get all the info needed on this one and have a blast. ... that's how we roll.

Thanks a lot @Oh_shift I'm working on a plan to join up also!

Pike / San Isabel is still open but we'll keep a close eye out for changes, not expecting a change at this time.

I'm glad that I purchased a GMRS radio then! It should be arriving today. I picked up the Midland GXT-1000VP4. From what I've read, this specific model requires a GMRS FCC license. But you might only need it if you go to the higher power bands, but maybe I'm wrong.

TacoDane

Rising Sun Member
Wanted to make this run for once. But sadly appears its not meant to be. Truck isn't up for it. Hope you guys have a great run.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Count me (us) in. It’ll be the first outing with the Rising Sun. We’re sans a GMRS, and the compressor to air up gave up the ghost last weekend at Moab. We’ll be 2 + a pup. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Count me (us) in. It’ll be the first outing with the Rising Sun. We’re sans a GMRS, and the compressor to air up gave up the ghost last weekend at Moab. We’ll be 2 + a pup. Looking forward to meeting you guys.
I will bring a compressor for you.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member