spare u-joints?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So I'm headed to Moab over Turkey Day and had a couple questions: first of all I was talking to a J**(($(!!@^%*+(*#((P guy and he suggested I take a spare set of u-joints. What are your thoughts? It seems someone already told me once that that is a J#*!)(@!)#(*$&%&*)!)!#($%$&P thing and I need not worry.

However, if something were to happen, is there a good mech. in town for yotas/Cruisers?

I'm also thinking of taking a spare rag joint, any other parts I should order while I'm in the process of ordering parts?

Here's what we're thinking: Kane Creek Thursday am, Cliffhanger if there's time Thursday pm, Porcupine Rim on bikes Friday am, Steelbender Friday pm if there's time, Arches NP Saturday with ? (Moab Rim?) if there's time and/or Moab Rim on Sunday if we want before we leave to come back. Thoughts?

Here's my truck for those who don't know: 31" MT/Rs + Lockright, 4spd with carb'd 2F; my buddy (CJ7 Matt) is in a CJ7 on 31" Big O A/Ts with a posi rear - he's geared low with fuel injection though...
attachment.php

wesintl

RS Moderator
you don't need u -joints (knock on wood). Cruiser u joints are strong and at 2x as big as H33ps

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
A spare set of Birfs maybe. Never hurts to have spare drive shafts in case you mangle them on rocks.

Have Fun!!

Who's blue 40 in that pic?

:thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Oh yeah I have a spare birf, a spare rear axle (long side), and my spider gears in case my Lockright goes caplooie.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Spare hub couldn't hurt. DAMHIK.

Jeep U-joints in question are for the front axle, Birfield equivalent. Weak.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
It sounded like he was talking about d-shaft joints, dragging over ledges etc.

Birfs aren't weak if you know how to drive them! (on 31s anyway...:eek:)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Matt, have you run Moab Rim before? Be careful, don't run it by yourself, and don't run it if it's raining.

The rest of your trip sounds great.

There is a 4WD loop in Arches NP that is mild but still fun and very scenic. I've taken my wife and kids on this.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Have not run Moab Rim by myself, but know that doing so in the rain is bad, very very bad, like Steelbender in rain. Thanks for the heads up! Might also have to check out 4x4 loop in Arches.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Sublazi: I've been carrying a spare set of toyota u-joints for 12 years. You are better off carrying a spare set of jeep front axle u-joints so you can get off the trail before dark.

Moab rim isn't that bad really. Shoot, our first run up it was solo in a jeep on 33s. When I tailgunned it last spring, no one hung around to spot me anywhere. no biggie. Just have to pay attention on the exposed parts and on the steps. I've seen you drive, you'll be fine.

Arches 4x4 loop is tame. I did it just fine in my 4runner, bone stock, the "wrong way" up the sand, with Wal-Mart whitewalls, in the snow. I drove out the back way too. (The hill by marching men was the only interesting part.)
I did it with 12 cases of wine in the back of the 'runner once!

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
u-joints, moab rim, and the arches dirt roads.

Sublazi: I've been carrying a spare set of toyota u-joints for 12 years. You are better off carrying a spare set of jeep front axle u-joints so you can get off the trail before dark.

Moab rim isn't that bad really. Shoot, our first run up it was solo in a jeep on 33s. When I tailgunned it last spring, no one hung around to spot me anywhere. no biggie. Just have to pay attention on the exposed parts and on the steps. I've seen you drive, you'll be fine.

Arches 4x4 loop is tame. I did it just fine in my 4runner, bone stock, the "wrong way" up the sand, with Wal-Mart whitewalls, in the snow. I drove out the back way too. (The hill by marching men was the only interesting part.)
I did it with 12 cases of wine in the back of the 'runner once!

subzali

Hard Core 4+